Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Or maybe it was the Stooge. You know, the hot one. Yes, there IS a hot Stooge. (Also: Mmmm hot stooge.)

Kid Me is sitting in a booth in the back of the hotel lounge when I arrive. She taps the ash off the end of her cigarette, finishes a conference call on her cell and waves me over. I don't know whether it's the avant-garde shaggy bowl cut, or the irreverent light pink Catholic school jumper with faux pocket flaps, but just being in her presence makes my palms begin to sweat. Kid Me lives up to her reputation as one of the most intimidating public figures in modern American society.



Me: It's been a long time, Kid Becky. Thanks for taking the time to sit down with me, I know you're busy and...

Kid Me: Hey, you got boobs.

Me: Uh. Yeah.

Kid Me: They're boingey. That's good. I always wanted boingey ones. I bet boys are lining up around the block to slime all over them.

Me: Um, well...sure. I get...slimed?...now and then.

Kid Me: I can't wait. Seriously. I can't fucking wait to get slimed. You're such a luck-out. *lights cigarette* Okay, Old Becky. I haven't got all day. Shoot.

Me: Oh. Alright. *cough* Let's see. *shuffles papers* Okay, yes. So, Kid Me, if I remember correctly, you enjoy school and are an excellent student. Your determination to do your best work, to be your best person, to accept nothing less than your best, is inspiring to many. Your work ethic is evident in everything you do.

Kid Me: Thank you for noticing. It's true. I do believe that with a solid work ethic and determination to work to our greatest abilities, we can be better than we ever thought possible. My schoolwork, my education, is my top priority.

Ah yes, but of course. President Dwight D. I.Wanhorsr.
Say, was that the bell for snacktime?


Me: What many people don't know about you is that you're not only a scholar, but an accomplished artist as well.

Kid Me: Oh, no, please. I try.

Me: Don't be modest. Your collection entitled "Ink on index cards", currently on exhibit at the MoMA, has been celebrated for its minimalist humility, its raw honesty with regard to the human form. You tear down all preconceived notions of gender and challenge our notions of masculine vs feminine in a way that likens you to a young Frida Kahlo, or Nan Goldin.


Big booby, small booby, hangy pippi
Felt tip pen on paper, 1980

Kid Me: Yes, well. My hope is that a piece like "Big booby, small booby, hangy pippi" will lead people to reevaluate their own attitudes toward gender and sexuality. Plus look at the pee-pee coming out. It's so funny because he's making pee-pee on the floor. It's like pssssssssssss everywhere!!

Me: You're mature beyond your six years, Becky. What would you say is your favorite piece, your best work, as judged by the artist herself?

Kid Me: (laughs) Oh, you're not gonna make this easy for me, are you? Wow. It's really...it's hard to say. It's impossible for me to judge the value of my own work, as so much of its inherent value, for me, depends on public reaction. I guess, I would have to say that I'm most proud of my 1982 work, entitled "I am a lion and I look radical."



Me: A favorite of mine as well. This piece has such a positive message. I am a lion, and dammit, I look radical! If only we all had Lion's self-esteem. Was that the message you intended to deliver, when you created this masterpiece?

Kid Me: Yes, the message that we are whatever we believe, which is an important notion in this era of conflicting messages from the media about who we're supposed to be. Plus I'm super good at drawing lions. Seriously. Look at his mane. So radical.

Me: Totally radical.

Kid Me: No duh.

Me: Becky, you love your parents, that much is obvious from your work.

Kid Me: I do. Very much.

Me: You have recently opened up for public viewing your very private collection of love notes composed by you to your parents throughout your youth. Never before has an exhibition brought its critics to tears by the sheer power of its pure, unabashed love. It's been hailed as a celebration of daughterly love and appreciation, and the exhibit's opening on Mothers' Day of this year drew record crowds. This exhibition reminds us of everything that is beautiful and rewarding about parenthood.




Kid Me: My mom and dad are my inspiration, this exhibition is my way of saying thank you. I owe them everything. They worked so hard to give me the perfect childhood, and I am forever indebted to them. I take every opportunity I can to thank them.




Me: Your dad was quite ill, in and out of hospitals for a long time, wasn't he?

Kid Me: Yes, I...(sniff)...I...just give me a second.

Me: Of course. I'm...I'm so sorry. We can come back to this, if it's easier...

Kid Me: No, no I'm fine now. (sniff.) My dad. Such a great man. I truly wouldn't be where I am today if not for his support and love. When he was sick, it was a dark time. Very scary. We never knew from one day to the next if he'd make it. His illness had a profound impact on me, and I felt it was my duty to share some of our correspondence from this period of time.

Me: The love...the love is clear. It radiates through in these letters. One can't help but be moved.



Me: One last question...

Kid Me: Oh no. I know what's coming.

Me: Yeah, I know you do. But everyone wants to know. I have to ask.

Kid Me: (laughing) Alright, go for it.

Me: The name "Larry" seems to recur often in your work, and speculation as to the identity of this person has led critics to label it a modern day Mona Lisa mystery. Everyone's dying to know, Becky. Who is Larry?




Kid Me: Oh, yes, Larry. The mystery of this "Larry". Let me explain. Larry, you see, is more of an abstract concept than a particular individual. Larry is you, Larry is me. Larry is everyman. Larry is love, and death, and fear. Larry is...

Me: It's Larry from Three's Company, isn't it.

Kid Me: *sigh* He's so radical.




68 comments:

Pam said...

SO funny! That was so well worth all your effort: thanks.

Do you mean to say your parents kept all that stuff and didn't bring it out on your 21st? What noble souls.

Moooooog35 said...

My pippy is hanging.

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or bad at this point.

Maybe I'll ask Larry.

Jen O. said...

I NEED to know what "those things" were that were on your couch?

MJenks said...

I'm glad you didn't break the news to Young Becky that you killed your father with a pie. That would have been a little much for her young soul to take.

By the way...my mom likes lemon pies...

Leslie said...

I have no clue what just happened here, but it made me giggle incessantly.

http://thetaleofgoingnatural.blogspot.com

nova said...

hey uh, good blog and all but I think you missed some of my allowances.

Megs said...

"P.S. You missed some of my allowances."

My stomach hurts from laughing so hard.

Mandy_Fish said...

You were a pill. This doesn't surprise me.

Ed said...

Kid you is awesome!

Kid me would totally slime kid you.

Geez.

Thanks for making me feel like a pedophile.

Andrea McKay said...

This post just made my morning! Do it again!

K. said...

Damnit I was hoping it really was Larry from The Three Stooges.

Sarah said...

Last night, I had a dream I had sex with a really old man with a big penis.

I'm only telling you this because I just woke up. That dream is the last thing I remember before reading this post.

This day is destined to be strange.

My dad was very sick when I was in high school, but he never missed my allowance.

I can't believe you even had to say anything. Travesty.

Now, let's talk about Larry.

You know what? Let's not. Let's just take my elderly sex dream and your pre-adolescent Larry fantasy and call it even.

Kirby Uber said...

i too love larry.

in a strictly homosexual way, i assure you.

Didactic Pirate said...

Kid You's artistic triumphs bring hope to the masses, marrying the visceral uncertainties of pre-adolescent frustration with the euphoria of unbridled sexual abandon.

I read that in your New Yorker profile last year.

kate sweeten said...

I used to get all upset that our house flooded when I was younger and all of this kind of stuff that my parents had saved got wiped away...now, not so much.

There's no way that I ever drew lions as radical as yours...my stuff would've just looked stupid in comparison.

Kurt said...

I was going to try and mimic the tone of this post in my comment and be all "The Kid you's perception of her environment...mumble,mumble..paradigm...", but you do it so much better and funnier.

So instead I'll give you a standing armpit-fart ovation and go back and giggle about peeing on the floor. HAHAHAHAHA! Urine!!

SumSum said...

i love kid becky's dish pan hands...

Elly Lou said...

She draws pippi, she "loves peppy" like a lion - obviously a too subtle attempt to disguise the name. Maybe Larry needs to step it up before he looses six year old you to Pippi.

However did you keep her off the pole?

Amanda @ It's Blogworthy said...

Glad your Dad survived and all, but tell me, did you ever get that back allowance? If not, I bet somebody owes you some money...with interest.

Soda and Candy said...

Me & Kid Becky would have got along great if I hadn't been incredibly socially inept as a child.

Sierra said...

I was trying to hold back the laughter while reading this because I'm at work, but it happened anyway and now people around my office think my laugh sounds like a cross between a choking squirrel and the snickers of 14-year old peeping Tom.

It's going to be an awesome Wednesday.

Suniverse said...

You can feel the love that Kid Becky had for your parents. Even though your dad missed your allowances despite surviving. Yeesh.

Anonymous said...

"Big booby, small booby, hangy pippi" might be the name of my new concept album!

Also Larry is my new all time favourite name for everyone. Sort of a John Doe type of thing. It's too perfect.

P.S. I'm so happy you remembered while your dad had just "survived" that your allowance was incomplete. You needn't think feigning death would erase that error did you, dad? Nice try fella.

Apryl's Antics said...

When I was little, I got in trouble for drawing trans-gender people peeing. You're so lucky.

Beta Dad said...

Time travel is RIDICAL!

Veronica M. D. said...

I feel like these letters can't be real, but I know in my heart they are. I was laughing so hard I thought I would induce labor. Totes.

My favorite might be "everything is wrong."

SkylersDad said...

My favorite of all the posts of your, it made me laugh a lot, and made me love you even more. Bloggy love of course, not the pedo-kind for the kid me... Oh hell, forget it.

Cindy said...

At what age did your parents start making Easter about them, and throw away the Easter Bunny illusion? Seriously. What about Santa? Did you ever get that back allowance you were owed?

Sara said...

Moooooooog said that her pippy is hanging.

Mine, on the other hand?

At full attention.

Wait, wait. Is that pedophile-y?

Um, just kidding about the full attention thing.

Bretthead said...

In twenty years, you will be pulling works of art like this blog from the archives and laughing all over again at how ridiculously funny you were/are.

Are you fun like this in person too? You should make friends pay a cover charge to hang out with you.

Miss Yvonne said...

Kid Me was always partial to Mr. Roper.

Anonymous said...

No wonder you started smoking at such a young age. You obviously had a rough life, with all of the gifts taking up the places to sit and whatnot.

Adventurer Rich said...

"Big booby, small booby, hangy pippi
Felt tip pen on paper, 1980"

How can ANYONE read that and not bust a gut... Thank you!

mossum said...

wtf with that spammy comment from Daniel? Loser. Someone should slime him.

You made me slime my monitor with the "EVERYTHING IS WRONG" piece.

mylittlebecky said...

is larry *me* too? i'm so excited.

I'm Katie. said...

You had me at President I. Wanhorsr.

Becky... you're ridical.

Anonymous said...

can i be you? youre fucking amazing.

Soda and Candy said...

I talked about you on my blog today
: )

We're BFFs now right?

Miley said...

omg, that was awesome!
I like the "PS, you missed some allowances" bwahaha!
You, ma'am, are TOTALLY radical

Anonymous said...

Totally pissed about the Lion! missing someone you love!! Love anonymous....

Shinxy said...

I think you deserve my "If Neither Of Us Were Attached I'd Totally Marry You" Award. Feel free to swing by my blog and pick it up :D!

Hippo Brigade said...

P.S. you missed some of my allowances.

Perfection.

I did the same thing with my dad. He was going through a seperation and a loosing his job, and I was all, "um, sorry life sucks right now, but you didn't get me a graduation present."

God, we Beckys can be such bitches.

Apryl's Antics said...

I just have to add, since we're sharing, that when my mom told me she and my dad were getting a divorce I said, "Let's go shopping and buy me a denim mini-skirt with his credit card."

CkretsGalore said...

I am so bringing back, "Radical."

mercilesslythirteen said...

I kind of feel like the most radical thing about the lion is your re-imagining of lion-body stereotypes. I mean, we all expect a lion to have, like, 2 front legs and 2 back legs... But your lion, your confident, radical, full-of-love lion has 3 front legs and only one back leg! And still is confident, and radical, and so full of love! It's jarring, like the big booby + small booby + hanging pippi is, and yet so life-affirming.

hiphophippie.com said...

It's obnoxious when parents get terminally ill and then forget our allowances. I mean, THE NERVE!

You're my hero.

Anonymous said...

I love when you post-it makes my day! Did you know you have a fan club right here in small town, Kansas? We're all pretty sure we could be your BFF's!

Scribe said...

Larry is my nickname...

Larry, Larry Samson. Nice to meet you.

You rock by the way. You definitely have a fan in Canada.

BeckEye said...

Yay for the funny and for the fact that I didn't get attacked by a virus this time.

Tony said...

My, my...I love the blue lion. It truly is "ridical"

As for Pippi mcKnobby boobs? Truly genius. Such a talented young soul...

sarah said...

I have to stop reading these at work. Trying to laugh quietly at my desk makes me look like a crazy person. I really love "To Mo- Momny
Everything is wrong!!"

Emmie said...

This is phenomenal. Big booby, small booby, hangy pippi is particularly breathtaking. It reminds me of a drawing I did of my mom when I was a kid. There were huge black circles on her chest, and I remember her asking, very PC-like, "Are these my breasts, honey?" No... they were supposed to be her shoulders :(

Megan (Best of Fates) said...

I was going to write a long comment about how much I love this post, but I just fear I can't do it justice.

It's mindbogglingly good.

richard said...

You mind is like an amusement park. Each corner turned reveals a new bizarre ride. Rides designed to spin and tumble normalcy and sensibilities into ecstatic delirium. A topsy-dervish dance which can only properly culminate in a healthy puke-session in the bushes behind the Sno-Kone shack.

Thank you for sharing!

linlah said...

Larry is everywhere.

justmakingourway said...

I wish I had some of my old crazy pictures from my youth so I could send them to you and you could make them funny instead of pathetic.

Keely said...

What was on your couch, exactly? Lawn chairs, the rusted hulk of a Trans Am, a broken couch?

Wait.

Pearl said...

Oh, that was just so good. I got nothing else.

Pearl

ClaireMontgomeryMD said...

you inspire me.

jerrod said...

I hate being like the 60th comment...

Remember when I always say how your words and insight mean something?

I'm the 60th comment...



Oh yeah, come back and talk to me.

Kristine said...

I'm not even going to try to be funny here, because this post was so great. I'm still laughing about your letters. AND LARRY! Hehe. Way radical. And what was the other cool word? Was it "chill" or something? The cool kids never let me in on these things.

words...words...words... said...

This interview was conducted at the Regal Beagle, wasn't it? Also, I think your lion's mother may have mated with Sly Stone.

The Jules said...

The ultimate renaissance six-year old.

I, too, aim to achieve higher levels of art, philosophy and contemplation through rigorous mental exercise and BOINGY BOOBS!

Boingy boingy boingy.

Kristine said...

I remembered! FRESH! It came to me in a dream about an elementary school friend whose braces I coveted.

Alyson said...

This was not only funny...but cute. Which is weird.

I feel strange.

I think it's because the L word is everywhere.

B said...

Lions ARE ridical, and so is this. :)

Jacky Maille said...

Big boobies were made to be slimed!

Cookie Monster in Therapy said...

This is very cool. I am saving very similar pics at the moment from my lot for them to look back on adoringly when they are older. As yet I don't have any pippi pictures, but many boobies. Well done young Steamy.