Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Scratch me cosine, best best Internet friend

I like to imagine that one day, one of you blog friendishes will come to visit me, and we'll spend the day dressing up my dogs and typing bad words on the labelmaker and Swiffering the floors and watching old Degrassi DVDs. And when it's late at night, and we're relaxing after our busy day of fun, me in Nana's recliner and you in your fold-out camping chair with beer holder, after all the marshmallows and Aleve have been eaten, and the Ghost Whisperers have all been watched, I will pull the back of my shirt up over my head and drape my torso over your lap and make you scratch my back. I won't scratch yours, though, because I wouldn't want to impose upon your personal space. Also, icky. No offense. Your back is awesome, I just don't want any of it under my nails.

And you'll feel super-close to me at that moment because clearly this is what real friendship is all about. Naked backs in your face. And you'll notice, as you scratch, that I'm not wearing my sports bra anymore, but then you will realize that while you weren't paying attention, I fashioned it into a Maya Angelou headwrap. And we will laugh and laugh, but then we have to stop because it's distracting you from the scratching. You aren't a great multitasker.

You're kind of all over the place with your scratching. It's alright though, because I'm an unconditional friend. The back scratching is confusing for you, because I say "Go left!" and my left is your down on account of how I'm laying across your lap, and it's a huge inconvenience. So I teach you about Back Quadrants, and the problem is solved.


Now I say "Quadrant 3!" and pow, you're right there. Eventually, we abbreviate it to "Q3!" and then simply to the digits themselves. It's like our first inside joke. This is already a wonderful friendship.

And then I say, "Shh! Focus!" because I don't want to hurt your feelings but it's like you're not even trying anymore. And you say, "Becky, these quadrants are too large and unspecific an area for me to properly attend to your needs." And I was thinking EXACTLY the same thing, and that's how I know we're BFF's.

So I explain Back Subquadrants. Each of the four quadrants divided into four subquadrants, numbered with two digits, the first denoting the quadrant, and the second the subquadrant.



And you love this new system, I know you do, because it's so efficient. We run through a preliminary round, where I call out, "Q2, Sub4!!" and we see how fast you can find the area. You really shine at subquadrants. This new challenge is just what you needed. I tell you that you're earning a ton of gummy worms with all this back scratching, but I really don't need to tell you that because I'm using my dog training clicker. "Twenty more clicks and it's pancakes for breakfast!" I cheer. I couldn't be more supportive.

"Hey," I whisper. You stop scratching and listen.
"Yes?" you reply.
"Did I say to stop scratching?" I say. "No, I don't think I did. I just said 'Hey' because I'm going to explain my system for a moving itch, but I think we can transition seamlessly into this new system without losing any scratch time, don't you?"

You agree.

*click*

"Ok. Now, you're familiar with the xy axis, I presume?"



You take a minute to examine the Back Graph I've had printed on a laminated wallet-sized travel card for you.

"Um...where are my car keys?" you ask. LOL. Random.

"I hid them," I explain. "Because you've had a beer, and friends don't let friends drive drunk."

"I feel shleepy," you complain.

"It's the horse tranquilizer kicking in," I explain.

"The what?" you ask.

"The jetlag," I repeat myself, because you don't always listen very carefully.

You look so tired. I feel bad for you. But nobody'll get any pancakes for breakfast at this rate.

"Ready? Here we go. The formula for the Line of Itch is y= -2x + 2. GO!"

And then I realize that you're REALLY out of it! "Oh my God! Look at your eyes! You are such a horse tranqui jetlag lightweight!! What a pussy! Haha! Oh, don't feel bad. This is what's called 'Giving You the Business.' It's what friends do. Hello?"

You are one tired sonofagun! LOL!

Ok. I feel like maybe this is cheating, and how will you ever learn if I keep helping you out, but regardless, I reach over to the end table and grab a pink highlighter, and bend my arm behind me to trace over the Line of Itch for you on my back.



"Okay, just follow the line. Did you hear me? Hello??" I say, as I knock on your skull. "Anyone home?? HAHA!! Anyone in there??"

Alright, I realize this is the very definition of enabling behavior, but I go ahead and duct tape a fork to your hand, and reach behind me to hold your elbow while I move your forkhand up and down the Line of Itch. Sometimes I love too much.

You're vomiting now, which means the hors jetlag will be out of your system pretty soon. That's good. This fork business is kind of a drag.

Sometimes, new best friend, back itch follows a wave-like path. This is fun for you, because it breaks up the monotony of the back-forth scratch motion. You'll enjoy the way your wrist moves as you draw wavey sine, cosine, and tangent lines across my back. Careful, though, not to confuse "tangent" with "cotangent". That makes me so mad. Very angry feelings. My best best best best friend forever from the Internet.

Scratch me cosine. I love you.


Alright. Another day maybe. You're beat.

I hoist you over my shoulders, and carry you to bed. My new friend. I'm so glad to have a friend. I mean, a new friend to add to all my other large number of friends. I'll never let you go. Unless you want to go, and then we'll see.

On the agenda for tomorrow: Backleship.

Oh my GOD you are SO gonna LOVE Backleship!!








88 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know whether to laugh till I pee or be really, really scared... I think I will do a little of both and then decline any future dinner invites from you!!

Anonymous said...

Now I remember why I didn't like my math teacher. She always claimed to be out of chalk and had to use her exposed back and a pink magic marker to explain the problems. Ah, school days.

Small Burst said...

LOL. This is freaking high larious! I LOVE IT!! Maybe teachers should teach math in this manner. Can't wait to hear about Backleship. LMAO.

The Jules said...

Hey, why so itchy?

Physicists are often lamenting the lack of a unified theory of everything, whereby they link traditional physics with the magical, make believe world of quantum physics.

Bear with me.

Well, I have a unifying solution for you, linking all of your itch dimensions with your scratch necessities, and all it involves is my patented sandpaper suit and an industrial tumble drier.

Go on, hop in.

Moooooog35 said...

I can't wait until your 'G-Spot' episode!

Off to brush up on the quadratic formula now.

Peggy said...

Um, this reminds me a little of your sidebar quote...it scratches the quadrants or it gets the hose again! Remember when I said I was going to come visit you, yeah, well, I have to wash my hair that day...sorry!

Ben said...

I am so impressed with you right now.

Jen O. said...

When's your birthday? I'm going to buy you this:

http://www.pallab.net/uploads/images/boredome/use_back.jpg

And then be your long distance best international internet friend.

Mama Wheaton said...

Ok creepy but funny. Though you may have presuaded me not to visit at least for a while.

Unknown said...

Backle ships! I love Backle ships!
When you play, do you use stickpins or needles?

miss. chief said...

you had me fooled there becky, what with the degrassi episodes and the beer holders right in the arms of my chair. I thought "ah, what a perfect day"

but no.

I am never EVER coming to your house. Ever.
Pancakes? WTF

JustLinda said...

Oh my god, you're a nut.

I would SO come over but I'm bringing my taser.

jbg said...

Ok, Backelship nearly killed me. I need a good explanation of why I'm laughing maniacally without sounding insane. So freaking good.

Lana Bump said...

Ha! We always use the geographical approach. Picture your back as the United States of America and direct the scratching accordingly.

erin said...

I seriously think we should have own on 'blogher'

but it should be more like 'fuckher' or 'blogtards'.

We should meet in some central city and spend the weekend together. I would be soooo up for that. We could do your strange back thing if you want. Maybe. If you're good.

Logical Libby said...

You truly are an evil genius. A scary, scary evil genius.

ModernSauce said...

the things I will do for pancakes...

Carolyn...Online said...

I'm kind of picturing your captive grabbing Baby and demanding to be let out while you scream, "Put Baby iin the basket!"

The Panic Room said...

I was reading this today at 5:30 in the morning and was embarrassed at how loud I was laughing. I bet you will get a lot of back scratches when people meet you. I printed out your drawings and am going to keep them in my wallet so that I have them ready for when we are friends.

SkylersDad said...

This is quite possibly the best thing ever written! If I promise to bring my electric back-buffer with me next visit, will you promise not to hit me with the tranquilizer dart?

Alyson said...

I can't decide if I'm impressed with your detail, terrified of your...friendship, or insanely amused by your psychosis.

Maybe I'll be all three. You like multiple personalities, right?

Tony said...

Hmm...slightly disturbing, yet funny, so...it's like a paradox.

I've been thinking about going back to school so I could be a math teacher. If that happens, I'm totally going to use this to motivate my students. I bet they'll have so much fun learning how to find the tangent line of f(x)=3x^e using this system.

Miss Yvonne said...

You know I own not one, but two back scratchers, right? I would totally do that back scratch cosine thing for you...after you massage my feet, of course. Don't worry, I'll send you a foot massage diagram before I come over.

Anonymous said...

Trick's on you. Horse tranquilizers don't even phase me anymore. I eat them like skittles and I'm pretty sure I actually get smarter, which means not only will I remain lucid, but I will kick the shit out of you at backleship.

Bretthead said...

This all makes perfect sense to me except for one thing. You have no plan of action for what to do if your internet back scratching visitor is male. You see, put a topless woman in front of us for a backscratch and we spend most of our time trying to make reach around rubs. I didn't see that on the diagram. What about the reach around Becky?

Jay Ferris said...

Seeing as I'm roughly the size of an adolescent horse, I'd have way more scratch time in me than the rest of these guys. Although I'd probably forgo the finger method and get working on you with the business end of a hairbrush to save time anyway.

Chelle said...

What about the ingrown hair/zit that needs attending to on back subquadrant 5-9 (which is located on the assal region). A real friend would attend to that. If I had something like that happening...*cough* any takers?

kate sweeten said...

I'm home sick and now all I want is back scratchin's and marshmallows. Damnnit. My husband won't be home for another 8 hours.

Steam Me Up, Kid said...

Eternally: Don't be scared. Shhh. There, there. Here, have a marshmallow.

Scott: Well, hello flubadoo. Your teacher should have used that spray-on chalkboard stuff for her back. Kids love it, and technically, it's clothes. So...not creepy.

Small B: Scratch my back math is a great idea. I used to teach braid my hair social studies. It's relevant, cause of Native Americans.

The J: Aw, no. Fool me once, shame on you...Fool me twice, I forget how this goes but I'm not getting in the dryer again.

moooooog: Up next: Penetrate me Pythagorean.

Peggy: That's the best part about our friendship, Pegs. I'll wash your hair FOR you. Problem solved. Be here at noon.

Ben: I want to make an impression on your lap.

Back in a sec...

Cindy said...

I can never blogger because it will be so pale in comparison. I will still come over, but I'm leaving if you mention backtwister.

Amanda @ It's Blogworthy said...

I'm not smart enough to be your internet friend. I almost failed geometry.

baby amysaurus said...

You're blogs are the best things to read so early in the morning, while I sit here at work and pretend like I'm doing something productive.

I laugh and my co-workers give me funny looks. You are just too funny.

Soda and Candy said...

Heehee, awesome!

Anonymous said...

Off-topic: up on your banner, is Freud doing a bit of embroidery?

--Ms. Bossy

Mandy_Fish said...

Do you have chiggers or something? I real friend would give you a flea dip.

"Julie" said...

bahahah oh lord. I'm terrible at math and a little scared of you now! Haha love "backship"! Too funny

Claire said...

backleship..((snort snort))

I'd totally let you horse tranq me.Because I'd likely be horse tranq'ing you too, that's love right there!!!

On another note..I found my dog eating poop yesterday & it made me think of you. It gave me warm fuzzies, until I nearly vomited cleaning it up. I should have just let her finish it ya know..recycling & all but, eh.

Miss Spoken said...

Why do I feel so dirty?

Steam Me Up, Kid said...

Jen: But how will you see the graph when my shirt is up over my head?? I need direct nail to skin contact. It's gotta be an implied graph, or highlighter, or nothing. That's shirt is like a back scratching condom.

Mama W: Creepy? Well. No gummy worms for you, clearly.

Eva: Maybe those candy dots that you peel off paper?

Chiefy: I reel you in with classic Canadian television and fancy beer. That's my MO.

Linda: That's so funny, because I have my taser too. I guess when you try to leave it'll be like a quick draw situation.

jbg: I don't have any good excuses for you. But sometimes if you pee your pants, they forget you were ever laughing. Sleight of hand. Magic.

Mrs.B: My back's not that wide. Maybe South America would work. Don't touch my Peru though, I'm ticklish.

Erin: I would LOVE that. I want a Blogher so bad, but one where you don't have to learn anything, or listen, and one that has grilled cheese and Pinot Grigio. Maybe we should all just meet in NYC and not go to Blogher.

Libs: Can I call you Libs? Cmere. Your turn. *pulls shirt up over head*

Madame S: Pancakes make it all better. Ends justify the means. Pancakes justify the drugging.

Carolyn: It revises its comment so as not to imply that I'm a crazy.

Ryan: I'll pass out wallet-sized laminated Back Graphs as my promotional item.

Skylar's Dad: Thank you! And yes, I will promise not to hit you with the tranq dart. And then I'll hit you with the tranq dart because I'm a liar.

OWO: Why the ellipsis before "friendship", Aly? Why? Did you have to think about it first? Angry angry angry angry angry feelings. Best best best fiend. I mean friend.

Tony: I'll design your curriculum. I have a fun lesson for parabolas. *wink*

To be continued...

Jen O. said...

Oh! I know! You could have your back-scratch-map made into a temporary tattoo and part of your best friend/captive's job is to tattoo you before they start the business of attending to your itchy bits.

MJenks said...

I'm not one to typically cut ass while I have a topless blonde woman facedown in my lap, but by the time you make me plot the slope of a line on your lats, I might be tempted to release a little SBD, and then, because we're both so polite, we'd both sit there and pretend like it doesn't smell of burning tires and sausage. Chorizo, for the win!

I'd also be a little upset if you knocked on my skull and didn't call me "McFly". I might cry, but probably not, because I'm a man and all.

Philip Dodd said...

"backleships"
absolute complete genius. Love the blog, the craziness etc. I laughed and laughed, and rather bizarrely pictured it in my head. A truly, truly great piece of work. I bow down before you. I am not worthy, but I love that you share such marvelous madness.

Sarah said...

This is the best idea!
I can't wait to save little vials of your skin flakes!

(Do you validate parking?)

hebroncathospital said...

i've run out of words to adequately describe the funniness i am feeling. you are like the super genius of backrubs and kidnapping people.

words...words...words... said...

You should try to find a way to make this diagram applicable to the naughty bits. Then you can say "Q3, sub4!" instead of giving the tap and asking who's on Letterman.

Christina Harper said...

I'm terrified of this entry. Math and quadrants and graphs and *brain explodes and Christina is now a drooling vegetable on the floor*

aerocline said...

BACKLESHIP... o dear god. I think my donkey brays of laughter just scared the shit of the horny Tongan itinerant gardener who is mowing my miserably overgrown lawn. Where did he go??? COME BACK, HORNY TONGAN GARDENER DUDE, COME BACK...

Becky, I would play scratchbacks with you any time (after a couple months to bone up on quadrants and sectors), and you could always go first!

Captain Dumbass said...

"Pancake" is just code for "shallow grave," isn't it?

Ed said...

This seems a little selfish.

You could at least offer a BJ.

Anonymous said...

Can we put the Wii Battleship up to your back? That's the only way I'm going to learn this....

hiphophippie.com said...

I'll totally backleship you if you pumice my feet.

Anonymous said...

Can we put the Wii Battleship up to your back? That's the only way I'm going to learn this....

Kellie said...

Backleship used to be my favorite game EVER! We could so be best friends! Although you lost me on the cosines and tangents and all that jazz... Crud. Now I feel dumb.

Vic said...

Me with a fork in my hand, for any reason, is a bad idea at the moment.

I'm in for grilled cheese Blogher. Can I have a margarita with that instead?

Ani said...

Already played the game people! Already had the hors..i mean jet lag!it's just not as fun as she makes it out to be!

Pop and Ice said...

Now that you've made my head itch, YOU can come over and massage my fabulous noggin. I'll be waiting, bestus ever internet friend....

Amelia said...

Wow. Super effin funny.
This made me realize my back seriously itches. Did you give me cooties via the internet?!!!

Amelia said...

Wow. Super effin funny.
This made me realize my back seriously itches. Did you give me cooties via the internet?!!!

Amelia said...

Wow. Super effin funny.
This made me realize my back seriously itches. Did you give me cooties via the internet?!!!

That Baldy Fella said...

I did come round to visit but you came back early so I had to hide in the cupboard until you went out again.

ClaireMontgomeryMD said...

pick me! pick me! i want to be your new friend. i love to scratch/rub backs and i love math and of course i love horse tranquilizers. please pick me!

Curiosity said...

Backleship! Brilliant. ...At least until my husband sinks one and I have to remove it from the board.

At this point, I need to express my heartfelt appreciation that you have an accurate graph on that back. Ah, math. Is there anything you can't do?

bikramyogachick said...

So then you carried your new friend over your shoulder into the basement. From the top of the stairs you hoisted a basket down for your friend. There is lotion in there! So it can put the lotion on its skin! We want the hands to be soft for tomorrows fun game of backleship, right!!!

Joe said...

i actually took a horse tranquilizer one time. when i woke up four days later i didn't remember anything after the time that my friend told me take it and looked it up in his book of prescription medications and their effects. i pieced together this magic adventure that i had during those days where i stole food to survive, crashed on a futon for days at a time, and got broken up with by my girlfriend.

Josh Almighty said...

Don't do that hoarse tranquilizer shit. What you need is either an OCD and a dirty back or a mild hallucinogenic that encourages meditative repetition. I can get you that. I can get you either, actually. But stay off the HT. Seriously.

Anonymous said...

You had me at Degrassi...but the only part I didn't understand about the story is whether you were talking about the old Degrassi or the new one? Not that it matters. They are both pure Awesome.

linlah said...

It's possible that I could be trained in less than 20 clicks if it involves pancakes.

Steam Me Up, Kid said...

Miss Y: I'm sorry, did I say this was a quid pro quo situation? No, I didn't. Leave your feet at home when you come visit.

Mayo: You'll never win Backleship because the twist is that the ships are in my sock. You'll never sink them because they're not even there. Pow! It's better than an episode of Lost.

WTWA: I'm an equal opportunity scratchee. If I feel like my guest is liable to get too feely, I bring out the squirt bottle. *squirt* NO! *squirt*

Jay: Yeeesss, now you're thinking. So creative in your approach. *click, click*

Chelle: I'm all over that. Let me sterilize my scalpel, aka sewing needle.

kate: I can't help you, kate. I'm strictly a receiver.

Cindy: No you're not. You're staying, you just don't realize it yet.

Amanda: it's okay. I failed not being a loser, so, we're besties.

baby amy: Thank you! You just need to perfect your perplexed concentratey face. Maybe get yourself a monocle. they'll leave you alone.

Allie said...

Please consider this my formal declaration of intent to apply for the position of your BFF. Here are my qualifications:

-I am an expert back scratcher. Boyfriend has put me through rigorous training and I feel confident in my ability to deliver.

-I always keep my nails just right. Not too long so they're stabby, but not so short that my fingertips get irritated from scratching for too long. They are very high-performance, streamlined nails.

-I am pathologically nice. If you only want me to scratch your back and not expect anything in return, I'm there! I'll even sing to you while I'm scratching even though I'll be terribly embarrassed because singing is not my strong point.

-I suspect that even though I am small and have not built up a tolerance, I would be able to take horse tranquilizers like a champion. I think maybe I'm half horse or something. Anyway, judging by my ability to consume massive amounts of alcohol without throwing up or losing my balance (I can even do math when I'm drunk!), I think that I could still scratch your back properly even if heavily drugged.

-I can dress up dogs like a motherfucker. And by that I mean I'm awesome at it.

rachaelgking said...

I'm not biting. At least my geometry used Toblerones to try and teach us.

Mmmmm. Toblerones.

Tish said...

You made me miss my TI graphing calculator.

G said...

I am now in love with your back.

Ad Astra said...

My dad makes me scratch his back for him sometime. Perhaps he could find this guide useful, I'll pass it on so he can teach others this system. I'm sure as hell not using it :D

Smumzie said...

Ok, here's the deal: make that horse tranquilizer a cat tranquilizer, say, I dunno maybe Ketamine? and I will so be your BFF and subservient backscratcher extraordinaire! Just not too much of the Special K cause it makes me do the K shuffle.

And when you pick me up at the airport, instead of a complex handshake we can just chest bump and be all, "Cosine!"

Good times.

Chelle said...

Just pour some whiskey on the needle. That's how they do it in Westerns.

justmakingourway said...

My eyes started to roll back in my head at "subquadrants." Even before the horse tranq kicked in. I guess I am not destined to be your back-scratcher.

I'm Katie. said...

This post was sincerely creeptastic. I'm uneasy knowing there are only two states between us.

Annie said...

WOW- just discovered you and have now developed a case of blog envy. I will be the giant fan/dork who gushes like a moron repeatedly, if experience has taught me anything. Bravo.

this humble abode said...

I missed my pilates class today because of you. I came over from Dooce at someone's recommendation and promptly spent most of the day reading your posts. I know we were just introduced, but I really like you, as more than just a friend.

MommaKiss said...

you have such great skin on your back, i'm envious.

Anonymous said...

do ppl realize what a giver you are? I sure as hell hope so.

Jen said...

Creeptastic is a perfect description of this post. Funny thing is I have a BFF just like you.

My back itches now.

Falwless said...

Dear god this was fucking brilliant. I'm printing this out and laminating it for future friends and/or children.

The funniest part of that sentence was how I pretended I'm actually going to make new friends and/or have the sex again at some point.

Sara said...

I have a solution for you, because clearly this friend sucks. You should become a math teacher, and have your students work out problems on your back. You're welcome.

Pearl said...

This is sincerely the funniest thing I've read all day. My sister and I used to write words on each other's backs. I can't believe I never thought of the Maya Angelou headwrap.

Pearl

pixielation said...

That was hilarious, and I don't live NEAR you and am not coming to visit.

Unless you want me to bring YOU a special drink? I make a very nice strawberry and rohipnol smoothie.

Opto-Mom said...

When can I come over? I freakin' LOVE pancakes! Can you make sure to pick up some Mrs. Butteworth's for me?

Caleb said...

In March of 2010, Becky receives what she thinks is the final comment on this post. She thinks it's all over until 6 months later when opto-mom, a habitual "behind the curve" type woman, stumbles onto this entry and professes her love of pancakes.

But it wasn't over yet.

No, dear lady, because her I am, over a year after you wrote this, keeping this comment thread alive and breathing.

You. Are. MFing. Welcome.

*up top* <----stealing that from you, forever

Caleb

PS I SO devised the quadrant system years ago with my high school girlfriend. She was too dumb though. I'd yell "Q1!" and she'd be all like "your right or mine?" and I'd be like "do you think I have time for this kind of horseshit right now?" and we'd break up for a while.

Those were the days.