Thursday, December 16, 2010

Aura-cleansing sage bundles roasting on an open fire, Jack Frost nipping at your nose job...

You probably saw it on the world news, but it's worse than the reports would have you believe. The city of Los Angeles was unrecognizable this morning after last night's horrific wafting-down of mist and condensation, which, according to the city's top meteorologists, "most likely originated from a cloud" and then "came down from the cloud and ruined everyone's stuff."

When word spread that the cloud had finally left the city, Los Angelenos slowly began to reemerge from their underground weather-induced ennui shelters, and I grabbed my camera and set out to survey the damage.

I was not prepared for what I saw this morning.

Soil from my neighbor's rosebush planters had seeped down onto the sidewalk, now virtually impassible with dirt and debris as far as the eye could see.



Note the treadmarks, no doubt left by garden looters, most likely members of the neighboring South Central Malibu senior citizen gang/watercolor club, "Las Floristas Del Diablo."

And... you may want to cover your children's eyes for this next close up. It's quite graphic and not suitable for sensitive viewers.


Oh, the humanity! The cruel, cruel winter wind had orphaned a petal from its mother rose. With the roads the way they were, all gross and splashy, there was no telling how long it would take for cleanup crews to arrive and remove the petal, this gruesome reminder of mother nature's wrath.

Passersby averted their eyes in horror and pulled up the necks of their t-shirts to cover their mouths and noses from the vile stench of one less rose petal than there had been before the storm.

With the 12-second power outage our neighborhood sustained, electric driveway gates remained open and once domesticated animals ran feral through the streets of Santa Monica. Labrador retrievers, yellow labs, black labs, chocolate labs, Labradoodles, Lab Blablabs, Golden Labhuahuas, every kind of lab and lab hybrid imaginable roaming the streets, disoriented, carrying rolled newspapers in their mouths and offering handshakes indiscriminately to anyone who would accept them, delirious from starvation.

I encountered one of these newly-feral animals, and attempted to rescue her.


Suffering from shock, she ran the other way when I called out to her. I chased her for a few feet, but soon arrived at an impassable roadblock. As you can see from the photo below, the water had accumulated on the sidewalk to the point where the pavement had just buckled under its weight, creating a sinkhole of rainwater between us, and I was unable to follow her without the aid of a canoe or life raft.

GOOD DOG! RUN! RUN AS FAST AS YOUR LITTLE FEET WILL CARRY YOU!


I called Animal Control, and they dispatched a helicopter to rescue the dog from where she was stranded a few houses down in the front yard of her own home. They quickly strapped her into a harness and airlifted her to the front door, where her family was waiting anxiously for her safe return.

A mixed breed of unidentifiable origin, who witnesses confirmed had "wide-set eyes that implied descent from a line that was probably not a champion of hardly anything" and who "took a bite of grass like some kind of animal" and who "didn't give me his paw when I asked for his paw" was shot with a chamomile dart and transferred to a mixed-breed dog sanctuary, just in case, before he could wreak more havoc than the havoc he had undoubtedly been rumored to have probably wreaked.


After an hour or so of walking, my shoes and pants were absolutely covered with filth and debris from trudging through the wreckage.


Now I know how the workers at Ground Zero must have felt.


Great. My pants and shoes were ruined. Completely unsalvageable.

I was forced to remove them and make my way home pantsless and shoesless. In earlier times, 45 minutes of yore, I might have felt embarrassed at my predicament, but I soon realized that most of my fellow Los Angelenos had also deemed their filthy shoes and pants unwearable, and had converted them into iphone koozies and windsocks, respectively.

The most tragic loss was that of our neighborhood's great old trees. The mist and drizzle that had befallen our great city had soaked right through their bark to whatever's underneath the bark, increasing the contrast of the trees' natural tones into something very tacky and overstated-looking.

Get over yourself, Liberace.

Women everywhere rubbed their temples and complained of migraines from the visual overstimulation. Many citizens were so upset by this development that most of the trees were quickly put out of their misery, felled at once by roaming tribes of interior designers and color consultants.


Others, reaching deep within their hearts to look past the hideously garish, bourgeois look of the bark, rallied together, and teams were quickly assembled in an attempt to revive the few remaining trees, using hair dryers, upright tanning beds, and tender hugs.


Other, very teeny weeny trees, lined the gutters and sidewalks. People gathered to stop and stare at these heretofore unseen mini-trees.




"They're kind of like branches, but kind of not like branches, because you can hang a Hammacher Schlemmer hammock swing from a branch, but you can't hang a Hammacher Schlemmer hammock swing from one these things, no way," said one witness.

"The tree is molting its feathers," said another. "We should hold hands and sing to the tree."

"Don't touch it, it could be a bomb!" shrieked a concerned mother, pulling her child away.

Suddenly, a street sweeper rounded the corner and glided along the curb, disappearing the mysterious objects. Following closely behind was a convoy of military vehicles, which pulled up next to us, the men inside looking down upon us with a solemnity that chilled us to the bone.

"You didn't see anything here, am I understood?" the man in charge said. We nodded.

"Things don't fall from trees in Los Angeles. If things fell from trees in Los Angeles, people might get scared. There's no telling what people will do when they're scared. Desperate things. Unthinkable things. Are we all on the same page here?" We nodded.

They were gone as quickly as they had arrived.

Rumors about the Tree Feather Coverup of 2010 floated around for a while but were eventually forgotten. Sometimes I see that concerned mother pushing her child on the swing in their front yard, her gaze empty, her cheeks gaunt, her mind full of images she can't escape, truths she dare not speak. We make eye contact, not a sound between us save the haunting, rusty squeak of the swing's chain... reeee, oooo, reee, oooo... and we remember.

Yes, we remember.


60 comments:

Cookie Monster in Therapy said...

Pure tragedy. God bless you in your time of need.

Mrs Jones said...

Back in December 2006, a very small 'tornado' whipped through a bit of posh, entitled London causing a modicum of damage. A journalist called Caroline Phillips wrote a heartfelt, desperate article about how a shelf fell down in her house and now she knows how the Katrina victims felt. For serious. I'm not sure if her article is still online but it caused such deserved ridicule that someone had the foresight to preserve it here - http://mytornadohell.livejournal.com/. You think you know pain, you know NOTHING compared to the hell that Caroline Phillips went through...

Mike said...

Today, we are all Los Angelenos.

puncturedbicycle said...

I hear the Red Cross are handing out supplies of sushi, Fiji water and hot miso soup.

Moooooog35 said...

I can't even imagine the tragedy if this had happened on the day OJ Simpson was acquitted.

Unfathomable.

unmitigated me said...

There are repercussions, you know. Things still to be dealt with. Like, where will the President choose to stand for the photo op, will FEMA do a "great job" like they did in the gulf, and WHO is going to pay for all the grass cutting that will need to be done in another ten days??? Our tax burden is about to double, my friends.

George said...

I'm starting a relief campaign here in the Chicago area. Hopefully we can get the needed supplies to you in time.

Kimber Leszczuk. said...

This is absolutely terrifying and tragic. The photos are haunting and will give me nightmares for years to come.

Anonymous said...

I just said a prayer for you. My students will be holding a Bake Sale for you tomorrow too. God Bless.

Unknown said...

How awful. Hope everyone survives!

Mandy_Fish said...

Kanye West is strangely silent on your plight.

JustLinda said...

"Get over yourself, Liberace." made me laugh out loud in the middle of a performance assessment workshop with a bunch of HR people who now know I am NOT reading about the company's financial performance or something else work related. (Although our financial performance is pretty comical, really.)

You need to blog more. You're like the sunshine of the internet, where by "sunshine", I mean cynical, kinda-crazy blog person who completely cracks me up.

justmakingourway said...

Will there be any dog relocation efforts? I think I really want a Lab Blablab.

Elly Lou said...

Chamomile darts! That's what I need to fell the wild roving packs of fur covered Upper East Siders clogging the sidewalk in front of Saks and Henri Bendels. You've saved us again, Heir Steamy.

Vinny C said...

I can't begin to imagine the hardships you are facing. I'm starting a pants and sneaker drive for you all right now.

Bretthead said...

You couldn't think of much to write about, eh?

BeckEye said...

I'm sending you all of my canned food right now.

Biohazard said...

Bless you in your time of need. I will donate canned luxury foods and not-quite-first-rate hair products in large bundles, to be heli-dropped over your house.
I hope you can survive.
BE STRONG!

Kim said...

I'm so happy that you are safe and alive, what a tragic occurrence! I will hold a candlelight vigil tonight.

Apryl's Antics said...

Is that Jim Cantore I saw peeking around that bush?

the polish chick said...

oh, the humanity! i shed a tear, i really did.

p.s. i also want a lab blablab. always my most favouritest...est breed.

Deidra said...

This post was so purely brilliant that I cannot think of a comment clever enough to do it justice.

SkylersDad said...

I have a squadron of black ops helicopters heading to your location to lower Unicorns carrying cute kittens with bacon wings into selected sites. Hopefully, with enough of these and time, we can turn this tragedy around.

Stay strong.

Gacknoops said...

(Wow, that was awkward said...
You couldn't think of much to write about, eh?)

I don't see it that way. There was nothing much to write about but you thought of a way to create art from raw clay!
(Or flower bed soil in this case.)

The way you twist tragedy into a therapeutic comedy is pretty awesome, but this! You took the trivial and made a tragedy and then turned that into a comedy...brilliant.

/You will be receiving an award for this post./

JUST ME said...

Um, you are hilarious. I'm glad I found you.

Also - watch out for those Labradoodles. They're constantly confused as to what they are (playful lab? Snotty poodle?) and tend to lash out in a schizophrenic fashion...

Peggy said...

Godspeed Steamy...Godspeed.

Hannah said...

That dog looks suspiciously like Gary Busey.

Beta Dad said...

I don't mean to belittle your plight, but down here in San Diego, we had even worse cloud leaking problems. I almost sat down on a moist deck chair this morning! Now all I can do is sit here on my roof and hope Sean Penn will come by in a canoe with some towels.

Megs said...

I think what we all really want to know is...are the silicone breasts okay?

I know that many men in the world will be devastated if the breasts did not survive this horrible tragedy.

Miss Yvonne said...

You know what's coming next, right? Zombies. Because of course. Has anyone checked Bill Murray's house?

Cursing Mama said...

Dear heavens, I don't know how you cope with such unpredictable weather! Surely I should feel grateful that the weather event I lived through last weekend was only 17" of snow coupled with blizzard condition winds.

VEG said...

Dear God, how does one live in such a post apocalyptic hell hole of dread?

I have to say, the Ground Zero comment was so wrong it was deliciously right and made me choke on my bottle of Orange Slice.

I hope FEMA arrives soon dear Becky and rescues yourself and your fellow Angelinas (ha) from this devastation and horror.

Ed said...

That's why I invented umbrellas.

They keep the mist off of your delicate skin.

For $267,942.00 extra, you can get one with the optional force field attachment.

It protects against stray labs and limbs.

Cul-de-sac-ed said...

It's raining today in Phoenix. My son isn't home from school yet. I assume he and a group of close friends, fearful of the weather apocalypse and obvious weakness to terrorists the city is now prone to, have escaped to the mountains to live all "Red Dawn". Fifth graders are very resourceful so I'm not worried at all.

Wolverines!!!!!

On a lighter note....I went Christmas shopping today. In Phoenix. Driving in the rain....and managed not to murder anyone. You're welcome!

alonewithcats said...

The photo of that Labramalteseapoo dredged up painful memories of Katrina.

We never learn, Becky. We just never learn. *shakes fist, puts on earbuds, cues up Springsteen*

SQT said...

I'll be on the lookout for the telethon starring a very somber looking George Clooney to remind us all not to forget this tragedy. It'll be known forever as the day the roses almost wilted.

Vic said...

This morning I almost called in sick from all the humidity. (I think they used to call it the "vapors".)

And then I couldn't reach my car because of the glistening worm menace on the front step. It was coming right for me!

Can I get a ride with you to the PTS meeting?

JenGid said...

All I can think about is how the labhuahua was created. Did the chihuahua get the ride of her life, or did the lab get the disappointment of hers? Here I am wondering about dog sex while your life has been turned upside down. My condolences, now I have some research to do.

Sarah said...

Oh, dear God. Should we start a cleansing smoothie drive?

Bad Christy said...

You aren't originally from the So Cal region, are you?

Sarcastic whit like that doesn't naturally occur in low humidity regions.

Nicole Leigh Shaw said...

Galoshes for Gadabouts. What do you think? A catchy name for my new aid organization? You LA-types need never soil your Asics again.

And, I just published a post with a Labradoodle in it. I swear to the Mother Goddess that I didn't read your post first. So, soulmates, obviously.

Captain Dumbass said...

Do you think a benefit concert might help?

Mama Wheaton said...

Here in my little poedunckt(sp) town in Idaho, global warming has caused all the snowmen to melt and our emergency igloo has caved in. We were able to retrieve through the roof all our canned goods, thankfully.

backbeforethewar said...

I want to help and I will. Am ending my old snowblower and a 1997 cute kitten calendar. I wish it could be more

The Jules said...

Occasionally, I think (and by think, I mean be told by people who know me) that I can be a bit strange, and my writing reflects this.

Then I read something like this and all is well again.

Ta.

The Lissst! said...

Fuck! Everyone has already said everything I wanted to say.

www.thelissst.blogspot.com

The Lissst! said...

Fuck! Everyone has already said everything I wanted to say.

www.thelissst.blogspot.com

Scott said...

Hammacher Schlemmer keeps everyone in consideration by selling a metal armature that can hold the hammock swing, so you can have neither trees nor mini-trees and still spend the money to buy one to go along with your "the best car-that-converts-to-an-airplane," your "the best two-person submarine," and your "the best DNA extraction kit," only one of which I actually made up.

Karen said...

Truly, feel flushed and horribly uncomfortable by your situation...or...no wait, I just forgot to take my Hot Flash Hormone Pills AGAIN. Damn it!

Jack Steiner said...

This rainstorm must be confused because LA isn't supposed to receive a drop. We live in a sub desert dammit.

Didactic Pirate said...

People don't realize what we Southern Californians have to endure.

Be strong. And buy some new pants, for God's sakes.

DB Stewart said...

Whoa. I heard the president was going to fly over in a helicopter to survey the damage (much too dangerous to actually visit in person). Hope you are all managing somehow.

Irish Gumbo said...

The mond boggles at the human ability to survive in the face of such unspeakable adversity.

Oh, and you is funny, too. :)

A Vapid Blonde said...

In the aftermath of the destruction people have turned to holding up every California tea room to reload the darts they've stolen from the hoards of feral kittehs just to get their chamomile fix to avoid getting dope sick.

Dr Zibbs said...

I love the new header on this blog!

A Vapid Blonde said...

Oh and did you have to break out the cipro yet?

Natalie said...

You know, I have been bitching and moaning about the snow in greater Cincinnati for weeks now. The shoving, digging out my car repeatedly with each new snowfall, the incompetent road crews, the idiot drivers who think it's okay to slam on their brakes for no apparent reason on icy, slushy, slippery roads, having to do laundry daily to combat the dirty slush that soaks through my jeans every time I venture out of the house. However, you have thrown things into sharp perspective for me. There are those out there who have it worse than I. Thank you for helping me remember. I will make a donation to the Los Angeles Drizzle Relief Fund today. God bless.

Dr. Cynicism said...

Thank you so much for the laughs today. I'll be sending daily letters and emails to your senator and congressmen to urge swift action from FEMA.

matt said...

I know everyone leaves comments that are all "OMGZ I LOLED" and I always swore I'd never be one of them...but I have to. Because I did. When you said you knew how the workers at Ground Zero felt. Because that was funny to me.

iAnonymous said...

I've called for some winds to carry seeds from our trees to yours. hopefully our work is successful. this tragedy shall not go unanswered. im officially beginning the National Party for the Preservation of Trees and Bush-like things, we shall see what this government of ours thinks of that. I WILL NOT BE SILENCED. 0.o