Thursday, October 21, 2010

Free Range Becky's Savvy Tourists' Guide to Urban Survival

I've learned so many things about big city life during my last couple of trips to New York City, and seeing as how I'm headed back east today, I thought it wise to sit myself down and review my acquired city skills so as not to make the same touristy mistakes as I did last time.

For instance...

1) Revolving doors go way too fast. In fact, one out of ten people has or will eventually lose a limb in a revolving door accident, according to data I overheard in a nightmare I had last night. This is why they require decisive action and a clear-cut plan of attack. Do whatever you need to do to get into the building. If you need to behave as if you're entering a double dutch jumprope, hands up and palms forward, rocking back and forth on your feet, eyes wide and scanning for the optimal moment of entry, that's fine. However, the doorman is not required to chant your "Cinderella dressed in yellah" rhymes. Leave him alone.

Remember though, once you're in your pie piece of revolving door space, you're in. No return, no regrets. No screaming and running back out, yelling "Oh my God it's too fast! Okay, do-over! Ready? *arms extended out, feet in runner's pose* And a-one, and a-two..."

No sharing revolving door compartments with others. Remember, it only looks like there's enough room for the both of you from the outside, but in reality they are much smaller than you think. Once you squeeze in behind someone, even if you do the little tippy-toe tiny steps behind them so they don't notice you, they will somehow sense your presence and they won't appreciate it. Even if when the ride ends, you jump out, grab their hand in yours and raise it above your heads like champions and yell "TWINS!" as you emerge together out of your compartment.

2) Subways go uptown, downtown, and sidewaystown, and there are maps to help you figure out which trains go where. None of them go to Vermont.

Riding the subway will make you feel confident and independent in this unfamiliar city. However, keep in mind that you are a grown woman, and therefore strangers will not be as impressed as you think they will be when you describe yourself smugly as "pretty much a free-range kid."

Note: In your attempt to "blend in with the locals" it's understandable if you don't want to carry a map. It looks touristy. But you know what else looks kind of touristy?




Arm-maps. Not as inconspicuous as one might think.


3) Shopping. Yes, shopping is bullshit. We are bad at it.

But remember, with the holiday season approaching, New York City is the perfect place to get some gift shopping out of the way. So let's give it another try, shall we?

We've had some trouble with purchases in the city before, but we're going to learn from our mistakes and do better this time. Now then, let's compare some Dos and Don'ts of Holiday gift shopping in New York City based on what we've learned from our previous mistakes:

Do Buy: A one-of-a-kind vintage hat or scarf in a small boutique downtown for your most eclectic friend!

Don't Buy: A bunch of rocks.



Seriously. Nobody wants your damn geodes. Not even the happy looking one.

Ask yourself this: For whom is this a gift? Who collects rocks and minerals? I mean besides you. No, not Nana. Nana does not collect rocks and minerals.

Ask yourself also: Is traveling home with 15 pounds of rock in your carry-on worth the hassle with airport security?

And no, it doesn't make you seem any more normal when you tell people that one of them is not a geode at all, but a fossilized dinosaur turd! And that it was free with purchase of a vial of wooly mammoth fur!

"Buy 8 rocks and a clump of hair, and get a free piece of old shit" is not the bargain you think it is.


Do: Look for holiday sales at your favorite stores!

Don't: Buy 3 of these sweatshirts in sizes 0, 0, and 16 because they're the last ones in the store and you feel sorry for them, then give them all to the same person because by the time Christmas rolls around you've named them (Kuk'uk, Nippikortuyok and Debbie) and you don't want to break up the wolf pack.





Do Buy: Stationary and funky pens are always a fun gift!

Don't Buy: Oh Jesus. Come on. What the fuck is that.


A bird? A graphite bird's head? Oh my God, I remember now. You tucked it away somewhere because you couldn't figure out whether to write with the beak or the tail, because both felt awfully non-consensual and and you are nothing if not respectful of animals, even inanimate ones.

Which reminds me...

4) You will experience things in New York City that might make you upset. Like rude cab drivers, for instance. Or overpriced coffee. Or litterbugs. Or a pile of disemboweled toad torsos made into change purses.



I know, it doesn't make sense. Disembowel a cat and you're a sociopath. Disembowel a toad and you're an entrepreneur. And yet? There they are, $24 bucks a pop. And the kid next to you who looks like he's spent his day passionately frenching a barrel of red dye no. 2 is yelling "Neato! Toads! I can fit all my Silly Bandz in here!" and you're steadying yourself against the counter fanning your face and doing the sign of the cross and shaking each of their little dead toad hands and mumbling "Espiritu sanctum" in a faint raspy whisper and all the kids are running to find their parents.

My point is, this is New York City. You need to harden that heart. Would Carrie and Miranda get Catholic vapors over a pile of dead toads? Hell no. They'd thread a gold chain through their glassy toad eyeballs and wear them as a necklace, or they'd glue them onto a yarmulka made of street-meat and wear them clubbing, is what they'd do.

Suck it up, you damn California hippie. And Godspeed.


62 comments:

Elly Lou said...

So when are we meeting for a drink? Do you need a tour guide? Wait, first I should ask if you're big on Chinatown. Cause I don't really "do" Chinatown. Not that I'm a bigot or anything, I just really don't like chickens in windows. And I'm pretty sure those toads were from Chinatown. So you've already done Chinatown and you never have to go back, right? Cause it's not like that movie with Goldie Hawn's husband in it. No sir-ee-bob. It's way smellier. Though the movie did have Kim Catrall in it so now we're back to the cast of Sex and the City AND I'M STILL NOT GOING TO CHINATOWN.

Unless you want to go to Pearl Paint. Then I'm in.

Moooooog35 said...

Great.

There goes my "toad purse" patent application.

Jumble Mash said...

OMG this is too funny. I've been to NYC one time and I was getting ready to get on the stupid ferry boat that takes you over to the Statue of Liberty and some woman was throwing ashes (yes, like from a dead person) over the railing and the wind blew and me and my friend got dead person ashes all over us. Even in our eyes and mouths. Ew.

Also, I did a post about how scary revolving doors are. Check it out

MJenks said...

Do you become less of a sociopath if you dry the husk of the disemboweled cat and make it into a change purse? Or a stole? Or a belt? I'll bet cats make good belts.

*has just come up with a million dollar idea and rushes home to set out some cream laced with strychnine*

Brutalism said...

That really is the happiest geode I have ever seen. Probably because it was not being made into a change purse.

Unknown said...

That was a riot! Thanks for making me laugh out loud this morning!

Brittany said...

Ok, I am still trying to figure out which one is the dinosaur poop....

Lou said...

The city that never sleeps!

No wonder so many people there are so rude. They all need a nap.

jerrod said...

Is there any way... I could have Debbie?

Also,I love you.

You know what I mean.

Let's pound fists.

Sarah said...

Is the happy one the turd? I think the happy one is the turd, 'cause it's happy to have a place to call home.

You know, a home other than a gift shop, or a limestone deposit.

Didactic Pirate said...

I'm so glad you're bringing awareness to our nation's rising epidemic of Revolving Door Accidents. Discussion brings awareness, people!

That bird pen is freaky awesome. I'm pretty sure Poe wrote most of his stories with one just like it. He probably also carried around loose change in a horny toad.

Apryl's Antics said...

When I was a camp counselor in a little town in Florida, I think I met the guys who made those change purses.

matt said...

Nightmares are the best source of information. How else would I know that my teeth will one day turn to sharp mush and fall out, or that my cat will pull out a knife and stab my throat, or that I'm really not into S&M?

*small voice* What's wrong with geodes? I'd be excited to get one for Christmas...some people are just so ungrateful...

nova said...

HAHAHA! You're in the windy apple? No, wait, the...

Newest York?

Lucky!

bitethebedbugs said...

I am in bed and laughing/crying and it's the kind of sound that sounds kind of dirty? You know what I mean. I know you know what I mean. And I realized the windows are open and probably the lady next door is pacing around trying to figure out if I'm having sex or if I'm blowdrying my hair in the bathtub again, and need help.

34milepizza said...

So glad you're back! And with a great post, too! I've never been to NY, but I think I might survive it with your tips.

Penelope said...

I'm with Matt. Geodes rock. Ha! Get it?

Have fun and be safe. I'll be across the river in NJ sending you good mental vibes. And I'll be jealous of every revolving door experience, because that means you're in NYC and not NJ and it sucks here. Just watch those arms!

Peggy said...

I'ma just gonna be a nosy body...why all these trips to NYC?? What did I miss?

Captain Dumbass said...

Those rocks look like Chinese 1000 year duck eggs. Just sayin.

SkylersDad said...

I remember making change purses out of Triceratops when I was a lad back in the Original York.

Anonymous said...

I thought hopping into the revolving door with someone is how people met to start dating. Like a faster version of Match.com

No?

Hmmm.... Wonder who told me that....

Mandy_Fish said...

Are those glass toad eyes? And why did they give them all sly looks? So you wouldn't feel bad for them? So you would think they only disemboweled the evil toads?

Creepy.

Have fun in New York! Don't try and be Carrie Bradshaw by wearing heels all day and night like I did. I wound up in a Target desperately searching for a pair of flats.

Miss Yvonne said...

Dear Mrs. Kip Winger,

Thank you for the New York tips.

Sincerely,

Mrs Harry Connick Jr

Bretthead said...

I can never get my kids out of revolving doors. They act like its a ride at Disney World. Which isn't so bad. Instead of taking them to amusement parks, we just go to office buildings and make a fun day of it.

Anonymous said...

I'm totally guilty of thinking there's enough room for two people in one revolving door compartment. Before you jump in it looks like you could fit an entire family in with the other person. Then you get there and all the sudden you're sweaty and claustrophobic and the door is clipping your heels.

Now that I've read your advice I know better.

Beta Dad said...

In case anyone is taking the threat of revolving doors lightly, here's my harrowing testimony.

I lived in Moscow from age 10-12, and my friends and I used to run all over the city wreaking havoc to keep ourselves amused. We would often play in the lobby of the Ukraine hotel, a Stalin-era landmark down the street from my apartment.

The best attraction there was the 10-foot tall revolving door, made of 6-inch thick slabs of wood, wrought iron, and glass. We would get that thing spinning at top speed, and then jump into it and get launched out the other side, onto the sidewalk.

One time I hesitated for a millisecond before entering the massive turbine, and when I jumped in, I was crushed between the door and the wall. I remember the door, which had been spinning counter-clockwise at a blurring speed, gingerly changing direction after I had acted as a human wrench in the works.

I couldn't move, so I lay on the floor in the lobby. Eventually a huge Russian gorgon in a nurse's uniform came and pulled out a syringe, repeating in thickly accented English, "Pain, yes?" At that point, my ability to walk was quickly restored, and my friends helped me limp out of there.

Because of my youth, and a well-timed rush of post-accident adrenaline, I escaped the incident with nothing more than a deeply bruised hip. If it happened today, I'm pretty sure I would be wheelchair bound.

My point is that Stalin was an a-hole and revolving doors are equally ruthless and deadly.

Unknown said...

Oh, those toad purses remind me of when I went shopping with my mother-in-law in her fancy little suburb and we went into a boutique with nine black sweaters hanging on the racks. The owner said "Do you have any questions about anything?" and we murmured no and went through the motions of looking though the empty store before leaving - and then on the one shelf we saw several purses made out of armadillos. Yes, really. We gasped and the owner said, "What? I didn't do it." Well, no, I didn't think you were the taxidermist, but you opened a store to sell nine black sweaters and armadillo purses? We backed out slowly...

Vic said...

Recently our family discovered that if you do, for some reason, decide to pack a large bag of rocks in your carry on, the screeners will:

a)huddle together to mock you like a pack of hyenas
b) pull you aside to dismantle your luggage and make you watch while they fondle each rock individually.

I shudder to think what they would do with hollow frogs.

Safe trip - :)

Keely said...

I'm pretty sure you're only considered a sociopath if your disembowelment of a cat is wasteful. If you made a nice hat out of it and sold it on etsy, you're an Artist.

Or Montgomery Burns, I suppose.

birdgirl said...

OMG OMG toad change purse!!!!
I have a stuffed bullfrog called Ernie at home. I'm now thinking... 'say... he doesn't really DO much... I could... modify him...' Yup, and maybe turn his companion Bert the terrepin into a makeup bag. Could put a mirror of the inside of his shell and stuff. YAY!

Andrea said...

As a New Yorkk City teen, I gotta say we do spend a suspicious amount of time making fun of tourists... After the fifth homeless guy gropes you on the subway, you get used to it...

Deidra said...

Wow. lol You are always hilarious!

Helena said...

i have no words for how you behave with jumpers (sweatshirts). This behaviour is not healthy, however, it is awesome! feel free to buy me some wolfpack jumpers anyday, i won't judge.

Anonymous said...

Godspeed is right. Everytime I read one of your posts, I think to myself, God, I love her...

This time I thought, God, I love her and we both love geodes. I'd love to get a geode as a gift. But am now wondering if maybe my mother did not love the crystal hermit crab I gave her last year. Sure she did....didn't she? How could she not?

Jenny DB said...

I usually read in reader but i'm glad I came over to see your AWESOME new header. Those Lasers...made my day. DOes that make me easily amused? I must get it from my dog homie. He loves lasers too. ALOT.

Next thank you so much for the guide to NYC! I will be going in december and this has been so helpful. I love the double dutch imagery but i think i was never very good at it.. never made it to the part with the chinese boys on the fence, so i think i'll avoid revolving doors. Oh, and where did you find those wolf sweatshirts? I totally want one :-)

Dr. Cynicism said...

I am instantly skeptical and angry at any human that collects geodes. You've made a wise suggestion my friend... wise indeed. Rock on Becky! (see what i did there?)

Paige said...

holy shit those change purses are creepy

Ed said...

I actually like the happy geode.

Poor little cyclops looks kind of stoned.

Ha!

Kathee said...

I developed my fear of revolving doors in NYC. Caught in one with my luggage. I avoid them at all costs now. But that is the only thing about NYC that I don't like. I was super stoked when I figured out which way was uptown and downtown on the subway. BOOYA!

Kristy said...

The whole revolving door thing brings to mind the time I watched a young mother get stuck in a subway turn gate. It was one of those full length cage door numbers.

She crammed her stroller through, then couldn't get herself through. I easily could have walked over, taken her child, and ran away. Instead, I helped unstick her stroller and helped her through. (She's lucky she had an ugly baby, is what I'm saying.)

BeckEye said...

It pisses me off that so many people have started visiting NYC now that I've moved. Was everyone waiting for me to move, or what? And isn't Pittsburgh a big enough tourist spot? We have crazy people, too.

Opto-Mom said...

How much could you put in a toad purse? Would you want to eat gum after it's been inside a toad? EWWWW!

You've received a blog award. Check it out over at my place:

http://opto-mommy.blogspot.com/2010/10/awards-out-wazoo.html

Maryistoolazytologin said...

Toad purses = HIDE. I have a toad. His name is Bob. I feel very protective.

Suniverse said...

Holy mother of god - what is with those toads? They look deep fried.

Unknown said...

I love the geodes! And I would fight you for the title of Mrs. Kip Winger but I know you'd win with your freakish strength so there's no point. I hope you're having a great trip!

Sara said...

Excuse me while I get the exact change for that out of my toad...


I'm sorry, what?

Sarah said...

Holy shit, that is the happiest fucking geode I've ever seen. Seriously contagious giggling over how cute it is.

You get Catholic vapors?

You're Catholic? You were in NY?

I was in Syracuse, NY, and I visited some nuns.

Next time, you come east, please visit the Mid-Atlantic, so I can brush your hair and hold hands with you when I introduce you as my "see, I told you she was real" friend from Cali to the other residents in my group during circle time.

hiphophippie.com said...

Wait a gosh darn minute, are you telling me that no one collects geodes anymore? Ruh roh. I sold all my gold and invested in geodes. Now I have to sell those and invest in frog purses. You're like my Suze Orman.

mylittlebecky said...

i would like a beckal blessed toad purse. thank you.

Not From Lapland said...

Right, so am I the only one that wants to know which one's the dinosaur poo?

justmakingourway said...

I once gave a guy a really good room and room rate at the hotel where I work. As a thank you he gave me a geode and a loaf of bread.

Weirdest thank-you ever.

BeckEye said...

Becky, I fully expect you to enter my online Halloween pageant. I know a weird kid like you has to have some great old costume photos.

Mladen said...

I almost choked at the tip-toeing part...

Tiffany said...

(Kuk'uk, Nippikortuyok and Debbie)

BWAAAAA!

Pearl said...

A stop here is like a tiny little vacation with none of the is-my-mascara-a-liquid? hassles.

:-)

Pearl

The Lady's Lounge said...

Um.. no to the toad purses and yes to buying the wolf sweatshirt but only if you're buying it for Christmas...
for me.

The Absence of Alternatives said...

I love the arm map! I hate looking like a tourist indeed so thanks for the awesome idea! Your description and instruction for using the revolving door is brilliant: I hate revolving doors. Why do they use revolving doors anyway? To scare old suburban ladies or something? Ugh.

Unknown said...

Wolf Jumpers, Dino-poo and Toad necklaces are all the rage on the catwalks of Milan. Fly-eyed-stick-thin ladies in sunglasses can be seen flaunting their Gucci Toadbags whilst flitting from dinner date to ladies' lunch.

Unknown said...

76% of people know that data overheard in nightmares is one of the top 10 most accurate sources of information.

<-- new reader here & loving the blog :)

Bridget Callahan said...

I'm the geode girl. I would totally buy the geodes. If only cause they look like the eyes of that one creature from Neverending story. Like you hunted him down and ripped out the eyes.

She looks like a haddock said...

This is the first time I've ever read your blog, and I'm completely hooked. I laughed so hard that I cried. I'm so glad you posted about the rocks...I recently visited WA and thought it would be a great idea to collect colored rocks from all around for my husband. When I got home, his face told me that it was not as good an idea as I thought!

Caleb said...

Holy weird... the geode (thingy) on the upper right looks like one of Allie's drawings on Hyperbole!

Weird.

PS my friend said that your recent post (with the pic of a gun to a dog's head) was both viscerally offensive and hilariously enjoyable.

On a related note, that's almost the exact same description a girl used to describe sex with me.