Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Chimp date. Also known as the time I stayed up super-late plucking my eyebrows just so they would look pretty through the eyeholes in a gas mask.

Dear Sir:

Listen. I'm not usually one to complain. I understand that things don't always turn out the way we expect them to, and that sometimes we just have to roll with the punches and move on. I want to move on, I really do. But I would be remiss if I didn't express my disappointment regarding our recent encounter. I don't know about you, sir, but when someone describes the baby chimp with whom I have a scheduled playdate as "charming" and "well-behaved," I expect my goddamned baby chimp playdate to be charming and well-behaved. Is that unrealistic of me? I don't know. You tell me.

Ok. Maybe put yourself in my shoes for a second. Say Christmas is approaching, and your friends and family are asking you what kind of gift you would like, and you're thinking, "Jesus Christ, what version of gift-herpes are they gonna come up with this year? I wish these people would take their Bath and Bodyworks candles and their Mary Engelbreit calendars and just go fuck themselves."

But because you are such a good person, you don't say any of that out loud. Instead you say "Oh, I really don't want anything," which you say with a slight air of passive aggressive resentment, because everyone knows full well that all you've ever wanted for Christmas was for somebody to learn the guy part of "Baby It's Cold Outside," so that once, just once, you might have a duet by the fire one cozy Christmas Eve, instead of it being just you, alone and drunk with a stupid sock on your hand who has no idea how to do that overlapping lyrics thing and sounds nothing at all like Louis Armstrong.

And you're hoping, at the very least, that none of your friends gives you photos of their kids set in a frame whose longest side is greater than the cross-diameter of your trash can, and you're already planning your annual December 26th Bath and Bodyworks scented candlelight vigil to commemorate the rest of the Bath and Bodyworks candles that you're burning in a bonfire ten feet away from the vigil, and wondering if this year will be the year that your family finally understands that your post-9/11 freak-out ended years ago and that you are no longer in need of any "defense against biochemical attack" themed gifts...


This is why they invented self-timer.

...particularly a gas mask in child's size small from your mom, because she really wants grandkids but "No pressure!!" she says. Right mom. No pressure. *eye roll*

But suddenly, you are inspired. You realize what it is that you want, what you've always wanted and were unable up until this very moment to articulate.

Me: I want a playdate with a chimp.

Mom: A playdate?

Me: Yes. With a chimpanzee.

Sister: Becky, that's ridiculous.

Me: Really? Ridiculous? Have you seen Jack's list? He wants an armored bear costume for his dog so they can play Golden Compass in the back yard, for Christ's sake.

Mom: Well. That's just silly. He's not getting a Golden Compass armored bear suit for the dog. That would truly be ridiculous.

Iorek Byrnison, ladies and gentlemen.


Mom: Alright, besides a date with a chimp, what would you like for Christmas? How about some more Ciprofloxacin? Maybe if you're a good girl Santa will bring you Cipro, huh?

Me: You guys, Cipro's nice and all, and it's true what they say, you can never have enough Ciprofloxacin, but... see, I've tried to explain this to you before, it's just that surviving an Anthrax attack just isn't as important to me as it once was.

Sister: Okay, yeah, I get that. People change. Priorities change. You grow.

Me: Exactly. Protecting myself from biochemical warfare just... I don't know... I guess I'm just over it, and don't get me wrong, hoarding antibiotics will always hold a special place in my heart, but a girl gets to a point in her life where she's like, enough. Enough with the antibiotics, and the blow darts, and the propane-fueled generators. This Christmas, I just want a hug from a hairy little primate.

Mom: Ooohhhh, sounds like someone's feeling maternal!!!

Me: Suck my dick, mom.

Mom: Well, you just better hope Santa didn't hear you tell your mom to suck your dick.

Me: Santa can take my load all over his fat old man tits.

Mom: Well, you just better hope Jesus didn't hear you tell Santa to take your load all over his...

Sister: Yeah, anyway, so the chimp thing. I really think we can make it happen.


And they do. Are you still with me, sir? It just so happens that somebody knows somebody who trains chimps for commercials. And your Christmas wish comes true.

Now, let's back up a little. This is not your first chimp experience. You know what to expect. Years earlier, you had met a baby chimp.


She had held you by the hand and walked with you, climbed into your arms and hugged you around your neck, unzipped her purse to show you the contents (chapstick), applied it to her lips, applied it to your lips (no thank you), applied it to her lips again, and back to yours (no thanks I'm good), tried once more (well okay *puckers up*) and by the time you said goodbye you wanted to carry her everywhere and buy her a whole carton of chapstick for her sad empty purse and make her your baby and your best friend all at once, kind of like the way you feel now about Kurt from Glee.

And now, years later, you get your very own chimp playdate, and you're bursting with anticipation.

The morning finally arrives, and the doorbell rings. You've waited so long for another chimp hug. Those extra-long hairy arms draped around your neck, those tiny legs resting comfortably on your hips. Those agile, almost prehensile lips reaching out for a kiss.

You open the front door and reach your arms out. Come to me, my new chimp baby-friend. I will love you with everything I have to give, unconditionally and with abandon!

But from the moment you open the door, you know something's different. You think back to your old pal from years ago...


...and compare her to this new chimp friend. You can't quite put your finger on it, but you have excellent intuition and there's something unnerving about the expression on his face.


You can't see his other hand because he's taking a crap in it.

Hmm. Let's compare.

This chimp doesn't so much wear his diaper as he does rip it off and dip his hands into his own shit and proceed to cop a feel on every woman and fat man in the room. It's pretty hard to deny having just been felt up by a chimp when you're wearing his shit handprints on your boobs.

This chimp doesn't so much wrap you in a warm primate embrace as he does climb to the tops of bookshelves and perch on curtain rods and then dive-bomb onto the heads of passersby, attacking...

-Nana as she rolls by in her wheelchair: Ooof! Mercy me, be careful, little boy!

-Nana's Nigerian Nurse: Dat monkeh has de devil een hees haht! You stay ay-way from me, demon creachuh!!

-8 year-old nephew: He's trying to steal my eyeballs! Get him off my face!! YOU CAN'T HAVE THEM!!

-Sister: Oh my god, he's got my ponytail. Let go my ponytail, GOD why are is this chimp such a DICK!!

-Nigerian Nurse: Yes, I ay-gree. Dees monkeh is a toe-tal esshole.


Now, am I being unreasonable here? I don't know about you, sir, but where I come from, baby chimps carry purses and share their chapstick and keep their diapers fastened. They don't dip their shitstained fingers into people's iced blended mochas and they don't try to eat people's Nanas' wheelchair seat cushions and they don't try to strangle people's Nanas' Nigerian nurses by their braided leather bolo necklaces. It's positively animalistic and I won't stand for it.

You'll be hearing from my lawyers.

Good day sir.

50 comments:

Shinxy said...

I thought I was the only one who did drunken 'Baby It's Cold Outside' sock duets.

It's nice to know I'm not alone.

nova said...

What the ...? How does one acquire a playdate with a chimp? I'm uh...just asking for...research...purposes.

Anonymous said...

Your family are ace. Whenever I have a gift-related whim, they're all like "I'll wait five minutes and ask you again. You'll have forgotten about it by then."

Five minutes later:
Them: "Do you still want your own personal bank vault?"
Me: "What?"

Kurt said...

The worst part about shit handprints is trying to explain to other people that they are okay because "It's not MY shit!" Intensive care nurses are so stuck up.

That gas mask picture makes my pants fit funny.

Anonymous said...

Your second chimp play date CAN never live up to your first chimp play date. It's like the second time you do meth. It will never be as good as the first time. You HAVE to stop chasing the high.....

It leads to no good.

NO good.

Anonymous said...

Are you sure it was a chimp and not a little person dressed as a chimp? That’s how my cousin Ed made his way through stenographer school.

BeckEye said...

You know, if you take out the "chimp" part, this totally sounds like a date I would have had with some OKCupid loser.

Sarah said...

The whole first part, I thought you'd been spying on my Christmases. Then, I remembered the drawer full of Yankee candles in the dining room in scents like "Christmas Cookie" and "Mistletoe" and "High for the Holidays." The difference is the brand of candle.
Also, Cipro? You should totally have asked for that because it also would come in handy for urinary infections. And maybe the clap, but I'm not sure about that. Couldn't hurt, though.
I submit to you that there is no better expression of affection than blowing one's load on someone else's tits. Jesus is all about love, so I'm 90 percent certain he would be proud of you for jizzing on Santa's nips.
I heart you so very, very much. You made my morning with this post.

furiousBall said...

you tell that monkey i have a super soaker gun filled with stewed feces, i'm ready for him this time

Brittany said...

"because everyone knows full well that all you've ever wanted for Christmas was for somebody to learn the guy part of "Baby It's Cold Outside,"

GAH! YES. THIS.

Why can't I find a gentleman who can fucking harmonize!

Also, FYI, the lady who had her face ripped off by a chimp? Face transplant? DENIED.

Soooo....I mean. Play with chimps, totally your call, but just keep in mind the lady's face looks like a knuckle and she breathes out of a hole in they stuck a bendy straw in.

I saw it on Oprah i think.

Steam Me Up, Kid said...

Shinxy: But really, those overlapping lyrics are tough, right? "Don't go breakin my heart" is much easier with a sock, but not as gratifying.

Beta: If I get my face torn off, I'm going to just have a gas mask sewn on for skin. I hope my eyebrows survive, I worked really hard on those.

nova: Oh, you totally want chimp hugs, I can tell. I don't know exactly, I just know that if you're in LA and you're like "I wonder if I could ______", the answer is usually yes.

rather lovely: Yeah, I do that to other people when what they asked for is a pain to get. I just keep asking them until the answer changes.

Kurt: Why does it make your pants fit funny? Did it drain the blood from your permaboner? There's a little more wiggle room now, huh?

Jules: True, I was greedy. But...I bet it's been long enough now that I can try again, and it'll be just like the first time, right? *scratches arm*

Scott: Great, now I want a playdate with a little person. *calls 411*

Beck: Yeah, this post could double as a post about my first day of teaching, too. I think I'll just cut and paste, maybe photoshop an apple into the gas mask photo.

owo: Yay top three! No, you'd love baby chimps, they're like kids without all the talking back and jibber jabber. Kids + body hair - voice box = baby chimp

Sarah P: You submit, eh? Look at you, fancy lawyer type. If I were alive back then, I wouldve totally jizzed on Judas. It's just the right thing to do. Everyone was thinking it, I'm sure, but nobody said it.

f-ball: Mmmm stewed. Don't the onions clog up the tubes on that thing?

Brittany: Aw, that's mean, I think she looks pretty. *mean girl secret nostril flare*

inkpuddle said...

I love chimps ... on television. They lost me somewhere between Oprah's chimp woman episode and Animal Planet's Fatal Attraction show.

Daddy Scratches said...

Holy shit, Becky, that happened to you too??? I thought I was the only one.

Sara said...

I don't know why I even bother trying to read your posts at work. I'm going to be fired one of these days for laughing while reading your blog up here.

.... Or watching porn from my work computer. One or the other.

Elly Lou said...

"Santa can take my load all over his fat old man tits." Look, I didn't realize that was YOU in that video. Had I known I would have immediately shut down my youporn window and washed my eyes out with bleach. But since I didn't have that knowledge last night, my kayak and I thank you for a wonderful time.

ephelba said...

Sounds like the difference between playdates was the monkey's gender. Which makes sense, from what little I remember of elementary school.

Megs said...

I will never complain about the 6,000 pounds of bath products and candles I get every year ever again.

The monkey might have been an ass, but I think he might also have been the gift that keeps on giving.

words...words...words... said...

Monkey playdates are a 50/50 proposition. You got Gallant instead of Goofus the first time, and you should have let it lie. But NO. You had to tempt fate, and not only that, you had to have Chimp #2 in the presence of a Nigerian voodoo priestess/elder care nurse. Everyone knows that their auras vibrate or some shit in the presence of each other.

Also, you know all the coolest dogs. You're like the Kevin Bacon of the dog world.

mercilesslythirteen said...

Your eyebrows look excellent through the gas-mask eyeholes, by the way...

Steam Me Up, Kid said...

inky: What about the Jane Goodall specials? What about the orphaned chimps in the Congo? The little ones aren't even strong enough to rip your face off. A fingernail at most, maybe.

Skylers Dad: It's good to have a sibling because otherwise it's hard to do that trick where one of you kneels down behind her and the other pushes her over. You can always use sock hand, of course, but she's less likely to fall for it.

steff: Chimps just like to party, man. I can't be 100% sure I wouldn't be throwing poop right now if it weren't frowned upon by society. Thanks a lot, society, messing everything up again.

Daddy S: What? You get Bath and Bodyworks candles at Christmas too?? LOL no way!!

Sara: I should have a "quick escape" button on the sidebar, like the ones they put on those blog where people go for help for abusive situations. Only as a trick, mine will lead to something even WORSE than porn, like.. I don't know... the American Girl fansite?

Elly Lou: Did you see the part where he's all "Hohoho!" and I'm all "No, bitch, YOU da ho!" and I pushed his face down to the floor and made him lick my feet?

AVapidBlonde: Jesus, that sounds like the chimp version of the Chicago prison scene dance. Were the other chimps snapping and dancing in fishnets?

ephelba: Yes, I agree. this is conclusive evidence that boys of all species are spazbots.

Megs: You know candles are made from animal fat? How pissed would you be if you were a cow and you came back as a ghost and saw that your fat had been converted into some piece of shit lavender-scented bath candle. Like, "Oh well, the electric taser up the ass and the horrific slaughterhouse experience was SO worth it then, eye roll."

WWW: Nice, this blog was lacking in Highlights magazine references, thank you for that. You know what would be cool? If just once on Lost, Jacob or Esau would be reading Goofus and Gallant. They've used up all the other good/evil references, they've gotta get to G&G one of these weeks.

m13: Why thank you, I'm so glad someone noticed! *curtsy!*

Anonymous said...

I think your folks were a little strapped for cash that year and got you an Argentinian gnome in a wig instead.

Amanda @ It's Blogworthy said...

Let's just assume this was your punishment from Jesus for what you said to Santa...

Hope said...

Tell your family that Cipro goes bad! Antibiotics have a limited shelf life and then they go from disease fighting to toxic. I like the irony of something meant to make you better becoming more and more poisonous as you leave it sitting in your medicine cabinet.

mepsipax said...

Oh dear god....don't you know that monkeys are god's failed experiments at humans and some of them hate us for this. In the upcoming human/monkey war....I will miss you guys.

Unknown said...

Chimps are like women, after a certain age many of them stop being cuddly and cute and just become psychotic and dangerous.

And while I know the male part (the Wolf) in Baby, It's cold outside, I'm far more Buddy Clark than Louie Armstrong.

(The female voice in the song is called "The Mouse" and the male "The Wolf.")

I'll hold your hands, they're just like ice...

Maria said...

Agree with Beta Dad!! I'm from CT, one of the towns next over to where that woman was mauled.

Not that being from CT makes me an authority on the subject at all, but it's one of those things I felt it was incumbent on me to mention to try and inject myself into the story.

As I've done in this comment that should be about your post, but I've made all about me.

:)

hiphophippie.com said...

Will your family please adopt me? I do house chores and am potty trained. I also look fetching in a gas mask.

MJenks said...

You...in that gas mask...with the knife? Oh. Be. Still. My. Heart.

I don't want to get you all "creeped out" and "worried"...but I'm headed downtown to file some paperwork. *knowing winks*

My friends and I thought about getting a chimp for the apartment when we were at Notre Dame. We were going to teach him to do backflips off the couch whenever the football team scored a touchdown.

We might have been drunk when we concocted this plan. But, I will say, phone calls were made, and someone might have had to do some some 'splaining to campus police that night.

words...words...words... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
words...words...words... said...

OMG. Becky is really Twiggy. The evidence is overwhelming.

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/2194/beckytwiggy.jpg

Bridget Callahan said...

I'm sorry, I stopped listening after that TOTALLY AWESOME PICTURE OF A DOG AS AN ARMORED BEAR.

mo.stoneskin said...

For years I've been trying to train my chimp to eat wheelchair seat cushions.

Eat it you stupid chimp, eat it now.

It's actually extraordinarily difficult to get the damn monkey to do it. Yesterday he got his tail caught in the spokes and now he's in A&E getting it stitched back on.

At least that means I can drink my iced blended mocha in peace, just me and my braided bolo necklaces.

justmakingourway said...

I can't walk into a Bath and Body Works without gagging on that cloying sweetness. Bleh.

I had a friend in college that did a senior project involving observing chimps. I remember more masturbation stories then shit stories. But maybe that's just how my memory works...

Cindy said...

You know you can always return that stuff to the Bath and Bodyworks place for store credit. Oh yeah, that;s right, nothing to exchange it for but more smelly crap.

Em said...

Yes, that's right Becky, write to the authorities. That's the thing to do. Sigh.

bikramyogachick said...

I don't think it's asking too much to get a chimp who keeps the diaper on.

Rebekah said...

WHERE DID THAT DOG GET THAT PANSERBJORN OUTFIT

PorkStar said...

LMAO..... very interesting post. I think this makes me think twice about a dog or a cat, although totally unrelated to chimps. Still animals and their shit stained parts. At least the chimp takes a crap on his hand, a dog may eat it and then may want to lick your face.

SOCIOMANIC said...

You should hold a chimp fight, gladiator style. That would probably make you feel better about the whole experience.

Carolyn...Online said...

You kind of blew your wad with your first chimp experience.

Karen said...

"...Dees monkeh is a toe-tal esshole." Nana's Nigerian Nurse nails it again!
Becky, motherfuck. I really just sat here and thought about how you'd go about spraying Santa's man tits with your choad. Like it was do-able for you. I think for some reason the gas mask contratption makes it more realistic even though it has nothing to do with Santa's sexual proclivities. Or does it? Do you guys still write to eachother?

Jenny DB said...

i think i'm going to be passing this on, the first half anyway, to my aunt uncle grandma/grandpa, sister, niece nephew etc. ive had enough flippin candles thank you.

mylittlebecky said...

next time you have a baby chimp over, YOU TELL ME! I WANT HUGS AND CHAPSTICK!

mylittlebecky said...

also, did you know that eeeeevvvverything from bath and bodyworks has gluten in it? everything. it's like they're *trying* to kill me now.

Tgoette said...

This post hits so close to home! I too wanted my own chimp to play with, even if for just a little while, but I just couldn't afford it.

My friends thought they were helping me out by getting the next best thing and hooked me up with a homeless guy.

I wish I could say the result was any different than yours, but no such luck.

The Jules said...

Of course a chimp is going to go after Nana.

You can't name her after a primate's favourite fruit without expecting some sort of comeuppance.

The shit-fondling was just him showing his disappointment that she wasn't yellow (I presume) and he couldn't peel her.

pixielation said...

I just have a problem with any chimps wearing clothes. It kind of makes me nervous. Maybe scared that they are actually smarter than me. Which isn't hard.

The Lady's Lounge said...

He sounds a bit like an ex-boyfriend of mine...

I know the song, all of it. If you're not busy next Christmas, give me a shout.

Angie said...

You may be the most insanely hysterical blogger I've come across. Oh. My. God. Did this really happen?

Anonymous said...

Count Grishnach would be so proud.

http://www.burzum.org/eng/gallery02.php?id=photo12