Saturday, July 25, 2009

I, Pigeon. (Alt Title: Why does my crotch smell so facey?)

Sitting alone at the coffee shop early this morning, I watched a pigeon get struck by a trolley car. Or a trolley car get struck by a pigeon. I don't know, I guess whoever started it doesn't really matter, the point is that the pigeon lost. The trolley will cut a pigeon. 

The pigeon was dead, but only on its left side. The right side was determined to fly away, or perhaps its right side believed it was flying, because it continued to flap awkwardly as cars drove by. In between sips of latte, I watched and made those teeth clenched sucking in noises each time a car's tires would send more feathers flying. 

The bird wouldn't die, even despite its being dead. Such optimism in the face of adversity. 

I am that bird.

No, I am the road.

An old Chinese trash collector man walked into the street and swept the bird into his dustpan and dumped it into his rolling trash bin. "Not dead yet! Not trash yet!" I murmured, quietly angered by the indignity. 

I am that trash collector.

No wait, I am the broom.

I pulled my finger out of my ear to inspect whatever my pinky had been rooting around for this entire time, and wondered why nothing deep ever happens to me. I never get to be a metaphor. It's not fair, and frankly I think this blog suffers because of it. It would've been nice if that whole "I am that bird" thing back there had worked out, that sounded deep. 

Hold on. It's coming together now. If the trolley is vodka cranberry, and the bird trying to fly while half dead is anything like me trying to steal a room service cart full of grilled cheese and french fries and bring it in the elevator down to my hotel room last night, then maybe I am that bird. 

Are you following me on this? I have a crazy hangover, so I might be off on this, but bear with me.

If bachelorette party weekends are the coffee shop, and I am the bird, then the eternal struggle between life and death is the floor lamp I wrestled last night and broke, then put in the elevator with my cart of grilled cheese to take to my room so the hotel would never find out. And the people who witnessed the bird get hit by the trolley are a metaphor for the hotel manager who saw the bride-to-be and I dragging hotel property down the hall and into the elevator on the security camera and came looking for us.

This is getting good. Really deep shit. 

And the room service guy who I trusted enough to open my closet and show him the lamp and ask his advice for how to proceed in the matter would be the trash man, because well, I don't know if that trash man is a tattletale, but this guy definitely was. It's a good metaphor though because they both sweep up things that aren't dead yet and/or have a trusty kind of face but are extremely disloyal.

Then there's the elevator mechanic. I might need help with this one.

My friend swiped the wrench out of his tool belt on our ride up in the elevator, and when he discovered it missing, he called our room to accuse us of stealing it. 

"One of you turkeys stole my wrench," he said. 

"Gobble gobble," friend replied. 

So he turned off our suite's electricity. Wait, ok I remember now, that's when I started the fight with the lamp. I was confused about why the lights had gone out. But anyway, our room went dark and quiet as revenge for stealing his wrench. So we threw it back in the elevator and pressed the down button. That mechanic is God, taking and giving life/electricity all willy nilly, and also all-powerful/has no sense of humor.

And in an unexpected twist, God (real life God, not metaphor God who was played by the mechanic) is me (coffee shop me, not vodka me) because I watched the whole bird scene play out and God watches my whole life scene play out, and God probably makes those sucking air in through clenched teeth noises at me too. 

Oh, and my friend Ani is the road, because I sat on her face last night.


 

30 comments:

inkpuddle said...

Dude, this is far too deep for my still-drunk (I mean, HUNGOVER, just hungover...yeah...that) self to comprehend. But is was funny, nonetheless. I promise to re-read it in the morning and grasp its depth then.

Until then, I will giggle cruelly at the visual of you as a one-side-dead pigeon, though I'm not even sure if you made that analogy in your post, now that I think of it. Whatevs. Rock on, right? Right.

miss. chief said...

poetic

Vic said...

I think you are so deep you are probably ALL of those things -especially the Chinese Trolley (ding ding)and the wrench collector guy who broke your lamp.

I'm really good with details and nuance. Nuance also sounds like a shampoo brand, which would have been good worked somewhere into your story, maybe as the complimentary toiletries. You're welcome.

(How big are yak dicks? Just trying to figure out if that was a compliment or not....)

Captain Dumbass said...

I had a good comment but then my wife came in a farted and it smells really bad. Then she started picking things off my back and it hurt.

Anonymous said...

Deep man.

Keely said...

So, you're saying you've had a stroke? And you're only flapping on one side? That's rough, man.

Kurt said...

The best metaphor here is when you sit on someone's face. No wait. When I sit on someone's face...as the reader... no wait..when...when...when

(*Makes sudden, threatening hand gesture then runs away*)

Miss Yvonne said...

Suddenly I have "clang clang clang went the trolley" sung by Judy Garland in my head now.

Also, I once saw a squirrel get hit by a car and then drag himself and his paralyzed back legs frantically off the road. Scarred me for life.

Frogs in my formula said...

I don't think my weekend brain is capable of grasping the full meaning of all this. I must return tomorrow.

(Did you really sit on your friend's face and not remember? Hysterical.)

erin said...

I'm glad you were able to remember the whole schedule of events through the power of metaphor.

And if that doesn't make sense just think that I'm like tired or something, even though I'm totally not. Well, maybe 15% tired...or 10%...

corticoWhat said...

Metaphorically speaking, you are the trolley to my pigeon, 'cause you kill me! :)

Elizabeth said...

Who am I, then?

Steam Me Up, Kid said...

inky: Yes, come back when you have all your brain cells working at full power. You'll need them to fully comprehend what's going on in this post.

Carey: Thanks! If I posted more than once a week though, I'm sure you'd have more than enough of me. Being lazy has its advantages I guess!

chiefy: *snap snap snap*

Vic: You totally got the deeper meaning here, which is don't let a mechanic fix your lamp if there's a trolley headed your way, otherwise birds in your latte.

Cap: What are you talking about? That was totally a good comment. PS: Does your wife need any help with the back picking? I don't like to brag but I'm a bit of an expert.

It's All Good: You don't. even. know.

Keely: No, see...the bird got hit, by a trolley, see? And...aw nevermind. Yeah I'm stroking out.

Kurt: no, no. come back. that was good. When you, the reader, sit on my blog's face, you take with you a piece of my thoughts, and my blog takes some of your ass smell. Quid pro quo!

Miss Y: I've seen that too!! The back legs drag!! I think it's a pretty common move for squirrels actually, and I'm not sure it's even real. Squirrels are kind of dramatic like that.

Frogs: "Allegedly", yes. (*eye roll*)

Erin: Metaphors are powerful, they are like the Oprah of literary devices, and confusion is the free car audience giveaway.

cortico: And you are the Chinese trash collector to my angry electrician, because I'm flattered. Wait...

Elizabeth: I think you'd be the mayor of San Francisco for coordinating the whole thing. Or the trolley driver? I would make you God, but that role's already taken.

Mandy_Fish said...

This got all porntastic in the last line.

Elizabeth said...

i half-killed the pigeon? deep.

rachaelgking said...

Can I be the Chinese guy's moustache? They always have sweet moustaches.

Anonymous said...

I am your pinky perpetually searching the darkness for something. Or the thing in your ear waiting to be found. Either way, I'm waxy, so it's all good.

Alyson said...

I can't say anything witty in response to this 'cause I'm laughing too hard. Thanks for getting me in trouble with my boss. It's totally your fault. Since you're God.

zipbagofbones said...

So I read this once, and then I realized what I was missing, which was weed, so I went and got really high (like, How High?-high), and then I came back to read this again and then I realized that the only thing that matters here is what you found in your ear, man.

ClaireMontgomeryMD said...

wow. i have no words. that was really deep. we are all god.

Cindy said...

I like t e metaphors, but am confused as to what the electricity (or lack there of) represents. I feel like maybe turning off the electricity represents my inability to . . .

Unknown said...

I'm wiping the tears from my eyes from laughing reading this post and the previous one!

Love it!

G said...

As I read this post I was recalling the confusion and frustration I felt when I read "Catch 22". That was a book I hope. The movie was equally confusing, but at least I got a large popcorn with butter and a regular Coke to wash away the salt. Fuck! I love movie popcorn.
So I had a quick look about and noticed you have a shitload of followers. And I wondered, are they as confused as me? And if they are, why are they following you? I mean I'd like to hook up like the several dozen others, but I get feeling unworthy when I stumble upon high end Blogs and yours is truly high end. I'm just a guy from the east end of town and I know when I am out of my comfort zone/league; people look at you in that way we all look at fat people who, while at the fair stroll about with the massive sugar encrusted, deep fried elephant ear. I mean they are fucking delicious...don't get me wrong, but not like show corn, but ...
I'm rambling and am sorry to have wasted your time. I tend to babble on when I feel awkward.
I hope I didn't fuck up with spelling or grammar here.

Carolyn...Online said...

I hope that while you were sitting at Ani's feet she was holding your hair. You know, while you puke. Because that's what real friends do.

Carolyn...Online said...

Oh shit you said "face" and my brain read it as "feet" and now I have a weird image that involves face sitting and puking and it's not pretty. I have to go now.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if that was deep, but it was certainly moving. For instance I really want a grilled cheese now.

MsPicketToYou said...

you are the booze. i am the drunk one.

The Demigoddess said...

Haha. I'm still sleepy and my brain is still fuzzy from the drunken spree I had Saturday night..and it's already Monday now.

This woke me up, though. I pity the bird..or the cars that tried repeatedly and unsuccessfully to kill it.

Chris Hoke said...

You had me at "Gobble, gobble."

NJ Pigno said...

This post is so deep that you need to offer a graduate course in it. I'll sign up if you do.