While sorting through and throwing out all the treasures* I haphazardly packed away in a storage space two years ago, I came upon a little Post-it pad with the word, "Private" written all over it, tucked into a plastic Crayola marker bag. On the first page of the pad was the title: ABOUT ALL 4th GRADE!! and on the Post-its beneath it were my observations about my classmates, written all tiny and secretive.
I love this little Post-it pad artifact, because it shows that even little kids can be assholes. And asshole kids rank up there with inappropriate boners and puttery fart noises on my personal list of funniest things in the world. (As long as the kids aren't assholes to me, because I get hurt feelings.)
Word for word, here's what it says in the private Post-it pad:
Leslie is a pest and picks her nose.
Amy does all these things with boys. She once went into the boys bathroom and stripped. She is discusting.
Katie is so bossy. She thinks she is queen of the world.
Kristina's legs wobble and she is very dumb. She went naked with a boy on our block named Johnny. She took a bath with him because they loved each other. The boy was from Lebanon. Then they got out of the bath and started necking ect...ect... Kristina is discusting. Nice bangs.
Amy E. shows everyone her underwear.
My mom hates me. I know it.
Peggy is nice. I have never been in a fight with her in my whole life.
Brian sucks his elbow and his knee.
Kristina screams a lot, which is dum.
Jason acts like a girl and is very shrimpy but I sort of like him. Very nice not like the rest of the boys.
Jimmy spits in people's eyes by accident and has a very boring life.
Catherine braggs about her home and whenever she is proud of something she puts her eyelids down.
Amy is very clumsy and shows off her haircut.
Kristina has very fat legs. She runs wierd.
Brian is jerky. Andrea tries to defend him just because he gave her a Jolly Rancher candy. He snezzes on everyone and braggs about his lunch witch has: (always) 2 fruit roll ups, 1 pack of cookies, 2 packs of chips, and 1 sandwicth. [Crying jealous sad face]
Jennifer thinks she is queen. Katie is so bossy. She thinks she is queen.
David picks his nose. I just saw.
John A. always calls people nitwit.
I wonder if Jesus was fat?
Todd is stupid, dum, and a robber. He stole lots of things from me and he is a ping pong head.
Craig picks his nose but I still like him because he gave me a baseball glove.
The only thing better than asshole kids is being an asshole back to asshole kids. This rule applies even if both assholes are me. Plus, Kid Me really needs to be taken down a few notches:
Dear 4th grade Becky,
How am I? You are fine. I really enjoyed your in-depth and keenly discerning analysis of your 4th grade class. Some constructive feedback...
1) Jenny is the class fatass, it's true. But guess who's running a close second? That's right, Chubbo. I wouldn't be so quick to throw around the "f" word, because it's flying right backatcha like a boomerang at the rate you're going. Fun Fact: Thomas' English Muffins are not to be used as a vehicle for ingesting as much melted butter as possible. You've got about half a stick hiding in those delicious nooks and crannies, and I'm here to tell you that come 5th grade, you'll be butter's bitch.
2) David picks his nose? Really. Tell me, little one, who else picks their nose that you know? Jenny? Yes, that's right, but who else? Don't look away...you know who. That's right, you do. And you know what else? I bet David doesn't have a booger wall. But who does? That's right. You do. It's your booger wall. No, don't be ashamed, you've worked really hard on it. Show the people. Show the nice readers the 4 foot by 6 foot "mural" above your bed. Crumbly ones, fresh ones, sticky and smeary, twiggy and goopy, it's all there. Good work, Becky.
3) Nobody at your school has ever stripped in the bathroom, so just give it up. You know you just wrote that because you wish you could strip for someone. I don't know what your deal is with stripping, but get this: NOBODY wants to see you strip. Not one fucking person wants to see your little swollen not-even-almost-boobs peering over your fat white kid-belly. Trust me on this. (On a related note, Little Miss Tassles McBooby, if you remember this, please remind yourself in December 1998 to get down off the table at your holiday party. That doesn't end well.)
4) Your friend Kristina? The "screamer" with the "wobbly legs" who "runs weird"? How is it that you're the only person who can't see that the girl has severe developmental disabilities, and that you should stop coaxing her into your dad's car to come home for impromptu playdates every day, because even though she lets you be the boss of her and she laughs at your jokes and always lets you be Daphne when you guys play Scooby Doo, her grandma has her hands full even without the daily kidnappings. Give the woman a break and stop stuffing Kristina into your backseat after school. Oh, and all those "wobbly legs" comments you're writing? Karma's a bitch, is all I'm going to say about that.
5) You wonder if Jesus was fat? Really, do you? Did they have Thomas' English Muffins back in 25 AD, you think? Why don't you just cool it with the bizarre questions about Jesus all the time. Maybe he was fat, maybe he wasn't. Same applies to whether he was black, gay, a midget, gossipy, hairy, sensitive, show-offy, allergic, or Chinese. You're embarrassing yourself, and the nuns are starting to talk.
Regards,
You, only better
*Treasures = one training bra, several old decaying teeth, a battery-operated dancing rat that sings Achey Breaky Heart in Spanish, movie stubs (Doc Hollywood, Postcards From the Edge, Howard the Duck, Back to the Future 3, Dying Young, etc.). You know, just regular treasures. Totally worth two years of storage fees.
29 comments:
'Ping pong head' is complete genius though. I intend to work it into a conversation today somehow or other.
"Nice bangs." So, you weren't a complete asshole! You saw the beauty in even the most discusting of them.
I hope it turned out that your Mom really didn't hate you all that much. Maybe it was just a little bit. Moms are great that way.
I was totally the fat kid in elementary school, and I'm pretty bummed that someone's JUST NOW telling me about the English Muffin faux pas.
"You think you're a hot snot on a silver platter, but really you're a cold booger on a paper plate."
Was that a regional insult, or did that insult sweep the nation? And was Harriet the Spy your favorite novel?
Uh.....were you a "Harriet the Spy" in training?!!!
Sandwich is a really hard word to spell. You did your best.
Now, I've got a 30th birthday party coming up next month, would you like to be the entertainment and strip for everyone?
Your mom didn't hate you.
You were probably just a huge burden on her soul and that showed on her face when she was beating you and yelling, "I hate you, you fucking mistake, you're a huge disappointment!
No wait... that was my mom.
PS: You forgot to slap the 4th grade Becky after berating her. That helps set the emotional stain.
You had some slutty 4th graders in your class! I would have made friends with the guy with the 2 fruit roll ups.
I always wrote little notes about people in my yearbooks, next to their photos. There are so many swear words that I have to hide all of the yearbooks so my kids won't find them. I can't even share my yearbooks with my kids cause of my foul foul mouth!
All Peggy's are nice...glad you never fought her though...cuz all Peggy's are pretty good fighters too!
Ha, I loved this!
I may have cried a little reading this. From laughing, not because I'm a sissy or anything. I also vomited up my breakfast scone (see, I could say "breakfast chinese food" and it puts it right there with cereal) at the booger wall. Even at age 6, I saw a kid eat his booger and almost lost it in the hallway.
I think I may start posting stuff from my 4th grade diary. "Dear Diary, No one will ever love me because I'm 10 and weigh 40lbs and I loooooooooooooooove Evan (heart heart heart)"
There's so much good in this post that I want to run around in circles barking and drooling and clapping and the neighbors call the cops and I've got no pants and the audience is all "Not Again! That Kurt!"
Seriously. I would've wanted to see you naked in 4th grade. I want to see see you naked in fourth grade, right now. Wait...what? Forget I said that.
Haha, awesome.
I was a flicker, myself.
That was hilarious. Thanks for the laughs.
quite descriptive and detailed oriented at a young age... : )
yeah, so ... what are you doing with that battery operated achey breaky heart in spanish singing rat?
does it still work?
does it dance?
Glad you posted that response, I was getting jealous of all the 4th grade action that I'd missed.
Jules: Being funny is the asshole's saving grace.
Mrs. J: The jury's out on ping pong head. I hated it, then I loved it, now I'm not sure again. Let me know how it goes.
Kristine: I know, right?? My dad used to tell me all the time, "You'll blow up like a balloon with those things!" And I'd wave the package in his face, like, Um, they're NONFAT, Einstein!!
Nate's mom: Wow. First, I was JUST talking to my best friend the other day about that saying, only it was "Hot shit" not "Hot snot," but still, what a weird coincidence. Also, yes, all that came from Harriet the Spy, the notebook, the smug attitude, everything.
Pop and Ice: Yep, that book was a horrible influence on me.
Anna: If you're looking for someone to make sure nobody in the room gets a boner ever again, I'm your woman.
FF: You probably totally asked for it, though, right? Also, I didn't slap her but I DID cut her freckle off.
Dana: There were! It was stripping and sexy naked baths everywhere. Or not, I don't know. Maybe wishful thinking.
Prosy: The two fruit rollups kid was a booger eater. And I know, people in glass houses shouldn't throw boogers, but eating them is TOTALLY worse than a booger mural. Right? Right?? SAY IT!!
Erin: Put sparkly stickers over all the bad words maybe? PS: The butt in your profile shot looks really a lot like mine when I sit down. That's weird. Maybe my ass crack is too low.
Peggy: Beckys aren't bad fighters either. Our secret weapon is the fact that nobody thinks a Becky could ever kick ass, and then we go in all WHOOOPPPSHAAA!!! The military could use a secret Becky army.
Lara: No? What do you call "ping pong head"? That's pretty badass.
inkpuddle: Thank you!
Just a girl: Again with the Evan!! You've got to get this kid out of your system. Want me to go back in time and ask him if he likes you? Like, LIKE likes you? I will, as soon as I'm done with my breakfast Oreos.
Amy Kate: I should give it its own post, I have a lot to say about it. It's long gone now, but my mom knew it was there the whole time and let it stay until I was ready to wash it off. She nurtured my artistic side.
Kurt: You're the Weslehhh! of public indecency. I'M GlaD yOu EnjOYeD tHIs PosT, NoW ComE InSIdE fOR YouR NAptImE.
Scandy: I did. I saved everything, because deep inside I'm a hobo. It's embarrassing.
Soda: Thanks!
Cat: I prefer soft gentle rubbing. Flicking is alright too, sometimes. OH, you mean boogers?? Yeah I knew that. I'm an expert flicker.
Koreana: Thanks, and welcome!
OhExcuseMe: I knew it! I KNEW it!! Those nuns were so judgey.
PorkStar: Very observant, especially about the boogers. I was like the booger sheriff.
Sour: Yes, and yes. Jealous? You want it? Trade? Well, let me post a video first, it doesn't so much dance as much as wobble and almost fall down now.
Cap: 4th graders are sensual beings, you know. Strippers at heart, all of them. Although, most of them think stripping involves stripping off your clothes, you know, in strips. But sexy all the same.
"Kristina is discusting. Nice bangs." Well put, my friend. I think you were just looking for the silver lining...oh, and is that Brian kid a big-fat-fatty now? Fruit roll-ups, cookies, chips AND Jolly Ranchers? Moooo.
How DO you "accidentally" spit in someone's eye? I mean, more than once?
How could you write this post, and not tell us if David flicked??? TEASE!
BOOGER WALL! Bwahahahahahaha! "Tassles McBooby" *crying*
I laughed until snot shot out of my nose when I read this. It was discusting.
Fourth grade Carolyn will totally never invite fourth grade Becky to the roller rink because I know you are creating a dossier of the whole class and I won't be a part of your shenannigans. Plus my bangs are very stupid at age 9.
I read "necking ect. . .ect . . ." as a kind of retching with disgust sound.
Ew, nose picking, ect ect!
Totally hilarious !! I have my diaries from back then...I need to dig those out again....scary.
I just read this aloud to my husband. It's about the 18th time I've read it. I think I'm going to link to it from my blog if that is okay with you. This should be in the Best American Non-Required Reading book thing. Everyone should read it.
Holy shit.
He was laughing hysterically, and I was crying, literally crying. Hilarious. I wish I could stop. I can't.
A year and a half later and I actually have tears in my eyes re-reading this. I think something is wrong with me. In other news, I was trying to find a picture/video of your dog's seeping anus. It came up in conversation. We may have run out of things to talk about over here.
Anyway, i can't search your blog, and wonder if you can direct me to such an image. Or video. I feel like there was video...
Post a Comment