
In this photo he's watching two rats hump, he tells me. The humpee rat is dead.
Is it weird that I find that romantic?
Steve has contributed a song to the children's album Do Fun Stuff, the proceeds from which go to benefit Smith Magenis Syndrome.
SMUK: Tell me about your travels, Steve Foxbury. Do you spend a lot of time on a tour bus? Are you a member of the "meter high club"?
Steve: I can see where you would think that a guy whose musical accomplishments include writing the theme song for The WB's hit series, "Zoe, Duncan, Jack and Jane" would require a tour bus to meet the rigorous demands of his busy touring schedule, but you'd be wrong. I'm really lucky because I live in Pittsburgh and the rest of the band lives in Orlando, so I get to divide my creative time between these two cultural Meccas. Like Ansell Adams, my work is informed by the beauty that surrounds me.
As for your last question, I will only say that once you've done it in a burning building, everything else is for sissies.
Steve is the lead singer for the band The Battle Sigh. I've been googling Steve's band's name for months now, waiting for an album release. I told Ryan from Pacing the Panic Room this, and he asked me to interview Steve for the album release. Then my facial twitch began to flare up and I had to go downstairs and self-medicate with food. Twenty minutes later, with a perfect semicircular line of of hummus traveling from one cheek over the bridge of my nose to the other cheek from French kissing the bottom of the family-sized tub, I wrote him back and agreed.
Steve Foxbury is super dry and insanely witty and I like him even more now. Here's what happened:
SMUK: Tell me about your travels, Steve Foxbury. Do you spend a lot of time on a tour bus? Are you a member of the "meter high club"?
Steve: I can see where you would think that a guy whose musical accomplishments include writing the theme song for The WB's hit series, "Zoe, Duncan, Jack and Jane" would require a tour bus to meet the rigorous demands of his busy touring schedule, but you'd be wrong. I'm really lucky because I live in Pittsburgh and the rest of the band lives in Orlando, so I get to divide my creative time between these two cultural Meccas. Like Ansell Adams, my work is informed by the beauty that surrounds me.
As for your last question, I will only say that once you've done it in a burning building, everything else is for sissies.
SMUK: Steve Foxbury, your contribution to Ryan Marshall's album "Do Fun Stuff" is a beautiful song called "Nothing." Is this the first ever nihilist children's anthem known to Western civilization? Or something else entirely?
Steve: I wish that I could be the guy to plant our (awesome!!!) flag in this burgeoning form of expression, but I'm certain that pretty much any children's music written in Gary, IN or in either of the Dakotas would have to have roots deeply sown in nihilism. Kid's music was kind of a stretch for me. I usually write songs that people would listen to while crafting the first few drafts of their suicide notes, so while the melody and tempo might say "fun for young learners", it was of critical importance to me to still convey the message that ultimately, we exist (or do we?) in a void.
SMUK: The mysterious guest performance at the very end of "Nothing." Who is that? Some have speculated that it is indeed Sting, his most surprising cameo since "Money for Nothing.” Care to comment?
Steve: The little voice at the end is my son, Whistle. It took us, like 30 hours to get that. I'd like to say that he has some natural talents here, but that would be a lie. In the end, I ran the whole take through auto-tune and passed it through a couple really expensive filters; without which, he would've sounded like Ma Fratelli from the Goonies. I mean - I love the kid, but yeesh.
SMUK: I love the quality of your voice, although I haven't the musical lexicon to describe why. I do know a lot of food words, though. Your voice, to me, is like black licorice, the kind you get from Holland with the salt on it. And the woman who sings backup with you, her voice is like melted Havarti cheese. In this metaphor, you have to pretend that licorice and cheese combine perfectly together, but I didn’t plan ahead that far. Perhaps her as the margarita, you as the salted rim is a better analogy. What foods would you assign to your voice?
Steve: I think my voice sounds like the sixth pie eaten in a pie eating contest. It's that point where all novelty associated with eating pie is long gone, but at least it's still pie, so maybe that counts for something? Mindy's is like ketchup on a meatloaf.
SMUK: How is this interview going so far? I'm nervous and I'm sweating behind my knees. Do you find that erotic in any way?
Steve: I love this interview. Behind-the-knee sweat is the third sexiest type of woman sweat.
SMUK: That’s kind of you to say. Okay, back to business. You are a musician who makes music. According to my research, sound travels in waves.
Steve: Heresy!
SMUK: It’s true. Steve, how did you approach writing a children's song for Ryan's album, seeing as how it's a departure from your usual work with your band, The Battle Sigh?
Steve: Whether I'm writing for small children or for the band, my approach is the same: Gobble pharmaceuticals till the world becomes a soft, fuzzy hug of a place and then try to come up with a hook that will sell enough copies to rescue me from a day job that I would gladly swap out for getting kicked in the balls every day by a gorilla in Gene Simmons boots if the pay and benefits were the same.
SMUK: Steve Foxbury, was that last question the most professional-sounding thing anyone's ever asked you or what? I just shit my pants that was so professional. Ryan fed that question to me. Could you tell?
Steve: You're a regular Nancy Grace! How are my answers at this point? I feel so greedy and self-centered. I'm not learning anything about you in this process, except where you sweat when you get nervous.
SMUK: You’re doing a great job, that's probably why all the knee sweat. Steve Foxbury, are you or are you not, in any way, related to Jeff Foxworthy?
Steve: It's tough to tell. We're not a very close family.
SMUK: Complete the line "You know you're a redneck when..." in a way that might bring all conversation to an awkward, dead halt at a dinner party.
Steve: My mother died of lung cancer in January.
SMUK: Nice one. Finally, Steve, when do you think we can expect to be able to buy your band's CD? And when we can, will you sign mine? And will you be selling it in vinyl? Cause I scratch on the weekends.
Steve: If all goes well or even a little wrong, we should have the album ready sometime in November, so probably February? We're pressing vinyl as well because I saw this thing on CBS Sunday Morning that said people will buy your album if you put it out on vinyl and I really, really need people to buy this album. I mean it's cool that people are buying Do Fun Stuff, but it's not exactly lining my pockets, you know? No, seriously. I love kids. What was your question?
Steve: I wish that I could be the guy to plant our (awesome!!!) flag in this burgeoning form of expression, but I'm certain that pretty much any children's music written in Gary, IN or in either of the Dakotas would have to have roots deeply sown in nihilism. Kid's music was kind of a stretch for me. I usually write songs that people would listen to while crafting the first few drafts of their suicide notes, so while the melody and tempo might say "fun for young learners", it was of critical importance to me to still convey the message that ultimately, we exist (or do we?) in a void.
SMUK: The mysterious guest performance at the very end of "Nothing." Who is that? Some have speculated that it is indeed Sting, his most surprising cameo since "Money for Nothing.” Care to comment?
Steve: The little voice at the end is my son, Whistle. It took us, like 30 hours to get that. I'd like to say that he has some natural talents here, but that would be a lie. In the end, I ran the whole take through auto-tune and passed it through a couple really expensive filters; without which, he would've sounded like Ma Fratelli from the Goonies. I mean - I love the kid, but yeesh.
SMUK: I love the quality of your voice, although I haven't the musical lexicon to describe why. I do know a lot of food words, though. Your voice, to me, is like black licorice, the kind you get from Holland with the salt on it. And the woman who sings backup with you, her voice is like melted Havarti cheese. In this metaphor, you have to pretend that licorice and cheese combine perfectly together, but I didn’t plan ahead that far. Perhaps her as the margarita, you as the salted rim is a better analogy. What foods would you assign to your voice?
Steve: I think my voice sounds like the sixth pie eaten in a pie eating contest. It's that point where all novelty associated with eating pie is long gone, but at least it's still pie, so maybe that counts for something? Mindy's is like ketchup on a meatloaf.
SMUK: How is this interview going so far? I'm nervous and I'm sweating behind my knees. Do you find that erotic in any way?
Steve: I love this interview. Behind-the-knee sweat is the third sexiest type of woman sweat.
SMUK: That’s kind of you to say. Okay, back to business. You are a musician who makes music. According to my research, sound travels in waves.
Steve: Heresy!
SMUK: It’s true. Steve, how did you approach writing a children's song for Ryan's album, seeing as how it's a departure from your usual work with your band, The Battle Sigh?
Steve: Whether I'm writing for small children or for the band, my approach is the same: Gobble pharmaceuticals till the world becomes a soft, fuzzy hug of a place and then try to come up with a hook that will sell enough copies to rescue me from a day job that I would gladly swap out for getting kicked in the balls every day by a gorilla in Gene Simmons boots if the pay and benefits were the same.
SMUK: Steve Foxbury, was that last question the most professional-sounding thing anyone's ever asked you or what? I just shit my pants that was so professional. Ryan fed that question to me. Could you tell?
Steve: You're a regular Nancy Grace! How are my answers at this point? I feel so greedy and self-centered. I'm not learning anything about you in this process, except where you sweat when you get nervous.
SMUK: You’re doing a great job, that's probably why all the knee sweat. Steve Foxbury, are you or are you not, in any way, related to Jeff Foxworthy?
Steve: It's tough to tell. We're not a very close family.
SMUK: Complete the line "You know you're a redneck when..." in a way that might bring all conversation to an awkward, dead halt at a dinner party.
Steve: My mother died of lung cancer in January.
SMUK: Nice one. Finally, Steve, when do you think we can expect to be able to buy your band's CD? And when we can, will you sign mine? And will you be selling it in vinyl? Cause I scratch on the weekends.
Steve: If all goes well or even a little wrong, we should have the album ready sometime in November, so probably February? We're pressing vinyl as well because I saw this thing on CBS Sunday Morning that said people will buy your album if you put it out on vinyl and I really, really need people to buy this album. I mean it's cool that people are buying Do Fun Stuff, but it's not exactly lining my pockets, you know? No, seriously. I love kids. What was your question?
Fin.
I'm ending this with a video of Steve and his band The Battle Sigh playing their song "Raised by Wolves" at a small house party. I've watched this video elevens of times. Click and listen, and you'll understand why the sudden knee sweat problem.
Raised By Wolves from The Panic Room Videos on Vimeo.
For more information on Steve Foxbury's band, The Battle Sigh, check out his blog at thebattlesigh.blogspot.com or listen, download, and all that stuff HERE.
Have you checked out DO FUN STUFF yet? It's already topping itunes, friendishes. Good things are happening.

32 comments:
I was really hungry for my hummus based lunch, and now i feel slightly nervous of it...
I think the key element to battling rear-knee sweat is "accidentally" backing into strangers to pat it dry. Than you can say "Watch where yer goin', bub!" and walk away. It works out great because people in communion lines don't usually want to start fights.
That was a cool way to interview a person. Funny questions. Is seems like you know each other from earlier. Was the interview done by email? That's what I thought. Maybe you already said how you did it and I didn't notice. By tub, do you mean bathtub? I'm not good enough at English. But would the french kissing thus mean that you had thrown up into the tub? "once you've done it in a burning building, everything else is for sissies" is a nice quote, but why does everything have to be funny? Also, why am I complaining? Am I complaining? I need a nap. Do you ever post posts that are entirely serious? I could of course read on back through your archives and find out. No really, what I would like to know is: How anonymous do you consider yourself to be here? Now I will go sleep for a bit.
Um, can I make love with his voice please? Because I'm pretty sure I'm gonna need to change an article of clothing after listening to the song in the video, ifyaknowwadimsayin.
A) I shall now retire from writing, because I can never top that; and 2) Methinks I need a burrito from Chipotle, along with an extra tortilla with which to dry my nipple sweat. And there ain't nothing sexy about that.
Whoa. People like his voice I guess.
That was some hard-hitting journalism right there. It's like if Katie Couric and Stone Phillips had a love child and that love child grew up to write a blog about stainy anuses and her nana and then totally started interviewing super hip singers I've never heard but wish I had before everyone else did so I could just this once be cooler than everyone else.
Just like that.
Hey, this guy's from Pittsburgh. He's also kind of cute. Is he single? straight? These are the kind of hard-hitting facts you need to start putting in your posts, Becky, dear.
*swoon*
From now on I suggest every interview simply be questions about rear knee sweat.
birdgirl: Always be wary of hummus. ABWOH. I made a mnemonic device to help you remember that, because it's very important.
Kurt: The wafer itself is also very absorbent, fyi.
learninghowtouseatypewriter: Yes, we did it by email. I was refering to a tub of hummus, as in a large-ish container, and I didn't throw up into a bathtub. Everything is funny because that's the way I like it, and sometimes humor encourages people to read something they wouldn't normally read. You're complaining a little, maybe. A little critical sometimes. Maybe just let it be, it's only a blog and I'm doing my best. I have posted 2 or 3 serious things in the past, but they are overly-sentimental and I don't like them. Anonymity, okay. I consider myself to be semi-anonymous, as only a few of my friends and none of my family know I write here, and very few of my readers know my full name and personal information/actual life issues. While I make sure my blog/twitter/facebook/blog email accounts are not connected to my other accounts, I also write with the awareness that it is the Internet and I could be found any day now, so there's nothing here that would hurt the feelings of anyone I care about. I would be embarrassed, but that's about it.
Sara: Word up, sister. *fist bump*
John: May I suggest a tortillakini? Tie it together with corn husks?
Panic: Um, I guess. Kinda. ;-)
Miss Y: If I were Katie Couric's love child, priority 1 would be to call her up and discuss the merits and downfalls of eyelining your lower eyelids. We SEE your eyes, Katie. They are on your HEAD, you can't miss them.
Beck: I should have just slipped it in there, like, "Steve Foxbury, married man, do you like Indian food?" Is that subtle enough?
Elly: I KNOW, RIGHT??!
Moooooog: You should see the questions before I edited them down, it was all "How much knee sweat could you drink in one minute?" and "If you were a flavor of knee sweat, what flavor would you be?"
best interview ever. good golly, why don't you have a talk show yet?
I like that your acronym is SMUK. It totally works, but not like the unspeakably bad Yiddish word.
I combat knee sweat by wearing leg warmers, which you would think is counterproductive, but it's not. Plus, when I wear them I feel like Olivia Newton John in Xanadu. Win. Win.
Any guy who likes watching dead rats humping is okay in my book. I don't even need to hear what he sounds like when singing. Just knowing that I'm not alone in the viewing of the dead rats sexytime is enough.
I busted up laughing until one tear escaped from my left eye.
This interview is not unlike a chocolate filled puff, with a fine layer of powdered sugar on the northeast side.
I love your questions, his answers (wow, he's witty), and most definitely that voice. Nice.
I like this dude. This song sounds kinda like Andrew Bird (without the violin and whistling). Also, I like that he uses a classical guitar to play licorice and Havarti music, which is usually performed on the lute.
Married man?? Why on earth did you even bother interviewing this guy?
You are the most professionalest journalist in all of Journalism. Your next interview should be Dame Judi Dench.
P.S. I like this dude, and his music.
You obviously need to be in charge of all of the world's interviewing from this point forward.
p.s. I can't believe Nana doesn't know about this blog!
Thanks for your nice reply!
"it's only a blog"
You have more readers than any writer of books where I am from. To me, that is a big and interesting deal.
"and I'm doing my best"
And you are really very good at it. You have a great talent for dialogue. Have you ever had actors play out a script of yours?
I'm sorry if I seem overly critical, that was not my intention. I'm just used to having strong opinions on what I read and not used to reading blogs.
Thanks for your thoughts on anonymity. Even without any readers I have been having a lot of thoughts about how to cover up my identity. I want to use blogging as a way to write freely, which is difficult if potentially all your friends and family and collegues are reading along. I wouldnt even dare use my own name or say what country I live in, not that those things really matter to the reader anyway.
Yeah, humour seems like an important key to the success of a lot of the good blogs I have found. Which are not that many. Yet. I've tried finding stuff via different (kinds of) blog "awards", found Hyperboleandahalf through that - do you have any good tips on sites that categorize/recommend/review (mainly personal) blogs?
Humping rats and the meter high club.
Life just cannot get any better than this post.
(stands on box to give the slow clap)
Becky: Because I don't talk? That's prolly why. *pulls hoodie over head and ties drawstrings in a knot* Closing time.
Apryl: I capitalize on my hot knees by warming up American cheese slices under there. Just two minutes, nice and soft.
Ed: Aw, I love male bonding. So sweet.
Leslie: Just the one tear, then. (Sigh.) *Pulls spork out of back pocket and begins to saw into thigh* More funny, Becky. More funny. When will you learn? More funny. Moremoremoremore.
Aly: I know, the voice kills me.
Beta Dad: Lute! HAHAHA! If Master of the Lute isn't taken, I want that title. Move over, Zamfir!
Beckeye: I needed the absolutely no money, Becky. I needed to not pay off my credit card a little.
Didy Piry: I'm glad you like! And yes, I'm very professional now. I'm ordering my tweed elbow patches as I type this.
Sada: Nana does not know about this blog, no. Unfortunately, Nana doesn't know much about speaking or understanding either these days. Tic toc, tic toc...
learning htuat: I think anonymity is a great thing with blogging. My advice, based upon my own mistakes, is to create a different email address to use for everything you set up that has to do with your blog, including blogger, a blog facebook page, Twitter if you do that. People will find you if you use your regular email. The other issue is search terms. Don't type anything in your blog that people who know you could find you if they searched that term in google. Does that make any sense? All this unsolicited advice I'm giving you!
Hmm, personal blog review sites. I don't really know, I think you just have to poke around and click on people's sidebars. There are a few really well-written blogs out there, and more than a few funny ones. Have you read http://www.27bslash6.com/? He cracks me up.
Skylers Dad: Oh, you. Get down from there. You're making me blush.
Thanks again. Yes, avoiding getting googled makes sense and yes, I also think 27b/6 is great. It's kind of the first site I found that presented good text-based content in a good way.
I'll be sticking around here.
Licorice and havarti? I'd wait by the phone if I were you, I'm sure 60 Minutes or Dateline or somebody will be calling soon with job offers.
This is possibly the best interview I have ever read. Next I would like you to interview Obama. Is that OK? Yes? Good.
My gawd. The chemistry just snaps and crackles off the page. Get a room, you two.
In other words: Good job! (Whore.)
P.S. I actually listened to his music (because I had to hear the voice) and you're totally right. He's awesome.
I'm glad you interviewed him because I'm starting to stalk him too...but not in a creepy way.
All I know is this: I'm never going to be invited to such a cool house party. Probably because of all of my knee sweat.
When I become a famous whatever, I am granting my first exclusive interview to you. Also if I become an infamous whatever.
I'm also wondering if people with lifts on their trucks' suspensions did it simply to found the two-meter high club.
Ok. So I found out that random Steve guy (loved the music, nice job Steve plus band) and BeckEye are from Pittsburgh. All from this very informative post/comments.
Go Steelers! Yay! Hooray!
(too much?)
Post a Comment